Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently in the market for a PWC in the $2-3k range and have settled on either a Yamaha GP 1200 or a Kawasaki Ultra 150, whichever I find the best deal on. I have a few questions on these two models and PWC's in general:

-What are the benefits/drawbacks of fuel injected vs. carbureted?

-Can you premix a fuel injected engine?

-When did these models switch from carbureted to fuel injected?

-What parts in PWCs account for the most failures/ which failures are the most expensive?

-What maintenance should be done regularly on a PWC?

-What maintenance should be done and what do I need to check when I first buy a used ski?

This is my first post so I apologize if this information is already elsewhere. I have done a few searches and haven't found anything on these topics. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are the benefits/drawbacks of fuel injected vs. carbureted?

-Can you premix a fuel injected engine?

-When did these models switch from carbureted to fuel injected?
sometime in the 80s they switched to fuel injected. the basic difference is that fuel injected uses high pressure to pump out fuel rather than low pressure in a carb. theres a more reliable engine startup with fuel injected. you also don't need the choke like you would with a carburetor.
premixing is pretty safe, the engine comes out pretty clean in my opinion:)
hope it helps

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I am currently in the market for a PWC in the $2-3k range and have settled on either a Yamaha GP 1200 or a Kawasaki Ultra 150, whichever I find the best deal on. I have a few questions on these two models and PWC's in general:

-What are the benefits/drawbacks of fuel injected vs. carbureted? Fuel injected is better overall for performance but more expensive to fix.

-Can you premix a fuel injected engine? I could be wrong but I do not think so?

-When did these models switch from carbureted to fuel injected? Some time around 2002 give or take a year or so.

-What parts in PWCs account for the most failures/ which failures are the most expensive? This really depends on the PWC. For example, Sea Doo's: Everything! Obviously engine failures are your most expensive. What also sucks is if you don't know how to fix something yourself, you can have a cheap $20.00 part break but the labor calls for 6 or 7 hours to replace the part and labor on average runs about $70.00 to $80.00 per hour. Sometimes even more.

-What maintenance should be done regularly on a PWC? Check hull for damage, tighten down all bolts, flush the ski if run in salt water and then wash everything with soap and water inside and out of engine compartment, if it is a 4 stroke, change the oil, change plugs and fuel filter when need be, wait for engine to be warmed up before going all out on ski. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, start out your initial ride slow and listen for any problems. Remember it's much better to be close to shore and have a break down then in the middle of a body of water or several miles out in the ocean. Also, ALWAYS check and make sure your drain plugs are screwed in before launching your ski. I know of a guy that bought a brand new ski, took it out in the ocean on his first run, he got several miles out and stopped to take a break. All of a sudden his ski sunk and nobody new where he was or that he had even bought a jet ski. 2 days later, a Coast Guard helicopter flew over him and noticed him by chance and rescued him. He was almost dead and even though a missing report had been filed on him, nobody knew a thing about what he had done. The guy said he had no clue why he ski suddenly took on water when he stopped but I am willing to bet it was because he simply never checked his drain plugs and probably didn't even know to do so. He was lucky but also an idiot for going out into the ocean alone without telling anyone on a Jet Ski that he had never ridden before or a sport he had never taken part of before.

-What maintenance should be done and what do I need to check when I first buy a used ski? Answered it in last question.

This is my first post so I apologize if this information is already elsewhere. I have done a few searches and haven't found anything on these topics. Thanks for your help! Welcome to the site! Don't apologize for asking questions. That is what this place is for.

-What are the benefits/drawbacks of fuel injected vs. carbureted? Fuel injected is better overall for performance but more expensive to fix.

-Can you premix a fuel injected engine? I could be wrong but I do not think so?

-When did these models switch from carbureted to fuel injected? Some time around 2002 give or take a year or so.

-What parts in PWCs account for the most failures/ which failures are the most expensive? This really depends on the PWC. For example, Sea Doo's: Everything! Obviously engine failures are your most expensive. What also sucks is if you don't know how to fix something yourself, you can have a cheap $20.00 part break but the labor calls for 6 or 7 hours to replace the part and labor on average runs about $70.00 to $80.00 per hour. Sometimes even more.

-What maintenance should be done regularly on a PWC? Check hull for damage, tighten down all bolts, flush the ski if run in salt water and then wash everything with soap and water inside and out of engine compartment, if it is a 4 stroke, change the oil, change plugs and fuel filter when need be, wait for engine to be warmed up before going all out on ski. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, start out your initial ride slow and listen for any problems. Remember it's much better to be close to shore and have a break down then in the middle of a body of water or several miles out in the ocean. Also, ALWAYS check and make sure your drain plugs are screwed in before launching your ski. I know of a guy that bought a brand new ski, took it out in the ocean on his first run, he got several miles out and stopped to take a break. All of a sudden his ski sunk and nobody new where he was or that he had even bought a jet ski. 2 days later, a Coast Guard helicopter flew over him and noticed him by chance and rescued him. He was almost dead and even though a missing report had been filed on him, nobody knew a thing about what he had done. The guy said he had no clue why he ski suddenly took on water when he stopped but I am willing to bet it was because he simply never checked his drain plugs and probably didn't even know to do so. He was lucky but also an idiot for going out into the ocean alone without telling anyone on a Jet Ski that he had never ridden before or a sport he had never taken part of before.

-What maintenance should be done and what do I need to check when I first buy a used ski? Answered it in last question.

This is my first post so I apologize if this information is already elsewhere. I have done a few searches and haven't found anything on these topics. Thanks for your help! Welcome to the site! Don't apologize for asking questions. That is what this place is for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response JayDawg, that's really helpful. I did some more research and found that Yamaha switched to "Power Valves" in 2000 on GP1200's. Are these the same as fuel injectors, and if not what are they?

·
Registered
47 Posts
PVs

Thanks for your response JayDawg, that's really helpful. I did some more research and found that Yamaha switched to "Power Valves" in 2000 on GP1200's. Are these the same as fuel injectors, and if not what are they?
no there not, heres a link to 2 STROKE PVs

Two-stroke power valve system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as with premix with fuel injection you certainly can, but it involves some steps(take off exchaust, put oil block plate on, oil line removed, oil level sensor needs to ''tricked" otherwise buzzer goes off.I stayed with injection check my oil lines, but are notorious for popping off on an older ski, its an owners choice, see if i can pull up a link on installation, good luck:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts