Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am Doc, and I am a work o holic...
I am new to the world of Personal Water Craft, I have never driven one, owned one or even ridden as a passenger on one. for most my life i have lived near the ocean with in walking distance but never had the opportunity to own any type of water craft. My father one time bought a boat that needed so work but it sat in our yard and never got touched for years till we scrapped it, My wife always told me boats were big holes in the water that you threw your money in and would quickly shot down my dreams of being sailing the wide ocean while responsibly drinking how ever she was not against the idea of something for free which brings me to you today.
You see im something of a self taught mechanic.. well i guess that not true my father used to drag me out when i was kid to assist him with fixing cars and all sorts of stuff (he was a mechanic) while all i wanted to do was something else but he said one day i would thank him for teaching me when i have something i dont have to pay some one else to fix.. unfortunately he isnt around to thank any more but to sum it up i guess you can say im something of a father taught mechanic.
Being what i am i love a good project especially if it gives me the opportunity to buy tools i would other wise have no need to purchase and with the world freaking out over Corna (not the greatest beer in my opinion) i was in need for a good project to occupy my time while my wife tries not to kill our child during the home schooling phase.
A neighboor had a property in which 3 jetski's were abandon by the tenant who up and left in the middle of the night and after the legal amount of time had passed those jetski's needed a new owner in which i jumped on the opportunity IF ITS FREE ITS FOR ME. So i went over to the property and with my limited knowledge on jetski's inspected the 3. there was a 1996 Yamaha Wave Venture 1100 Triple and a 1993 Yamaha VXR Pro that seemed in the best condition and had all there parts still intact and appearing in working order those were the two i picked.
The first problem was moving them.. there was a trailer it was a custom made double ski trailer with the 96 1100 on it and the third ski i dont know the name of. I was able to remove the unwanted ski but not get the 93 VXR pro on to the trailer cause it didnt fit beside the 1100, i will have to adjust the bunks on the trailer to allow room for both if possible. The trailer needed work the tires where shot and the bearings bad so i jacked it up and put it on stands removed the tires and axle and made repairs, after replacing the parts i was in buisness and was able to tow the 96 1100 to my property to start work and would come back for the 93 VXR pro another day.
I began with a deep cleaning of the Wave venture removing algea and dirt from the hull. afterwords a bought a new battery and after multiple frustrating trips to the store because evidently smart chargers arent smart enough to charge new uncharged batterys and dumb chargers not existing locally i decided to buck up and by a 16c AGM battery that needed no chargeing.
The moment of truth - i connected the battery and attempted a start and it turned over nice and smoothly but didnt start so now its time to solve the problem which ill continue in another post...

For now it was nice to meet you guys and i look forward to sharing my projects with you all. I will post pictures of the skis and progress as soon as i have a chance i just dont have pictures on the computer i am working from at this time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today I rebuilt the fuel pump, just a small first step in the process of getting the venture back up and running but it was a fun and easy project.

I picked up a winderosa kit off ebay for 9 bucks I think that was a pretty good deal.
I removed the pump from the ski the plastic was a bit crispy and there was some corrosion. I wish I had pictures of it but I dont what happen to the ones I took. Anyways using a rotary tool and a wire wheel I cleaned the pump removed the corrosion and repainted it with some engine enamel high temp paint.

After cleaning and repainting I reassembled using the help of the factory book and put some blue lock tight on the screws the hold it together.
On the note of the screws i wound up stripping one of the most corroded screws when doing research to find a suitable replacement I learned something new, which was that these screws were JIS screws aka Japanese industrial standard. JIS screws are similar to the standard Philip's head but slightly different which makes them easier to strip if not handled properly evidently you can I identify these screws by a small raised dot on the screw heads, I didnt take a picture which
I regret.
I found a match at Home Depot by taking a good screw there and matching it up same length size and threading so it fit perfectly.
I haven't reattached the pump yet as my next step is the carb rebuild, and the kits just arrived to do so I'll be working on that soon

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Today I finally pulled the carbs out of the venture for break down cleaning an reassembly. As you can see from the photos there was alot of crud and build up in the carbs so they were in need for a rebuild. I haven't started the rebuild yet just the disassembly I had pretty tough time trying to get into the tight space required to get the 12MM bolts off to remove the carbs in the first place. Tomorrow I'll soak them in carb cleaner and and take a brush to them and clean them really good most of it looks like old fuel that turned into turpentine sitting so long but as expected the fuel system is seeming to be the problem with this ski.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today, I finished the rebuild of the carbs and the fuel pump and put everything back together for the most part. The moment of truth came when I cranked it over and after a few tries and a little SEAFOAM UPPER Engine cleaner and conditioner the wave venture came to life!! well sorta she sputtered a few seconds and stalled out, I repeated the process she cranked over sputter some more this time longer and quite after a few tries finally she ran, she cranked over and stayed running. I had the "flame arrestor box so I could look into the carbs and I could see fresh fuel making its way into the system which was a relief because I was concerned that the lines may have been clogged.

After a few moments she stalled out, I will say these initial few moments when running were very rough and heavy white smoke belched out of the exhaust. She started up again after a few short bursts from the starter and ran shortly before stalling, each time this process repeated the engine ran slightly longer and a little smoother but still not long enough and not as smooth as i would like to hear it.

Overall I would say I could keep it running about 3-5 mins and every time I would try and start the water up to cool the engine she would stall out almost immediately which was frustrating very frustrating as the hose wasn't close by and I remembered the fact that you didn't want water running when the engine isn't.

So at this point, my next step is to figure out why she won't stay running, is it an issue with the setting on the carb screws or the idol I could use a little advice

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update after rebuilding the ventures carbs a second time alittle fine tuning and flushing a boat load of crap out of the fuel lines the Venture is running good well mostly I do think the dirty fuel needs to run out and fresh fuel will make a huge difference and maybe a slight adjustment to the carb screws but over all it looks to me like it's ready for so testing on the open water. Currently waiting for a replacement seat cover and a few cosmetic clean up projects but I cant wait to take it on the water.

I need a replacement Gauge Cluster for the venture if any one knows of a place to get a cheap one or if there is an alternative gauge cluster aside from the OEM Yamaha gauge that is compatible with the venture please let me know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The time has come for some.cosmetic work! So up to this point here is the progression, power washed the crud of the wave venture, tore down the carbs and fuel pump, cleaned refinished and rebuilt the carbs and pump, replaced the fuel filter, flushed the fuel lines, replaced the battery, replaced the spark plugs, replaced the seat coverings, scrapped the faded sunbaked plastic to a nice clean surface. Starter her up... rebuilt the carbs... tuned the carbs and she runs nice and quite.

Today I got a few things 1. A gelcoat repair kit 2. A can acetone 3. Masking tape 4. A bunch of different grit wet dry sand paper 5. Rubbing compound 6. Cleaner/restorer wax 7. Orbital buffer with 7 inch foam pads finish polish rough cut and micro fiber.

So I did a small section with some rubbing compound and that really made a huge difference to the fiber glass and gel coat. Then a iused the restorer wax and the section I did shines nicely unfortunately the ski has alot of angles that make it hard to buff and rub properly and then decals look like crap so I think they all gotta come off but then what?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts