Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are not new to water sports/boating, but this is our first venture into owning Waverunners and have a few questions - Any input/criticism/advice is greatly appreciated! We have purchased two ski's: 2011 Yamaha VXS and 2011 Yamana FX Deluxe.

1) Securing a trailer for overnight trips - There are several models of anti-theft devices, any advice?

2) Long days on the water - Most days we will be travelling 50+ miles just cruising, but there are several places we would like to stop along the way with docks/marinas - How do you guys tie up at docks/marinas? Should we invest in the pop-up cleats? What types of bouys do you use? (PS, pictures are greatly appreciated.

3) Other than the obvious, (stay out of shallow water, rinse rinse rinse after use, and don't be a moron), anything else?

Thanks -

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1. I can tell you that this type of lock is worthless: Amazon.com: Reese Towpower 72783 Universal Coupler Lock: Automotive I used one of these until I read a review that showed you can knock it off easily with a hammer.

I'd say something like this would be best: http://www.trimaxlocks.com/_e/WHEEL_LOCKS/product/TWL100/TWL100.htm You can put locks on the tongue pin, etc., but they are easy to defeat.

2. I'd look for marinas that have drive on docks for PWCs, especially if you are going to be leaving them overnight. The better marinas will have an area for PWCs and rubber bumpers along the dock. Not a bad idea to invest in a set of fenders. I use these:
They are OK, but a PITA to get the bottom suction cup off when you are on the ski. I put a line on my forward cleat, and another in a stern eye to keep the ski from rotating when I tie up. Best case is if you can put the ski in the middle of 2 dock walkways and tie a line to each side. That prevents the ski from hitting the dock at all. With this situation you can put a line in your bow eye and another in a stern cleat.

Here is an idea for skis without cleats for a tie up point: Discovery River Tours** Personal Watercraft PWC Jetski Tours But you could just use the bow eye and a stern cleat. Not sure about the buoy question?

3. Carry some extra spark plugs (most common problem with your VX will probably involve fouled plugs). You should have the tools needed to change a plug in the tool kit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Love the Discovery River Tours website - We plan on doing some similar trips with all the waterways available here in Fl!.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really love water sports too and consider getting a jet ski. I have some windsurfing experience. I've picked up windsurfing basics on sites like these... Can you recommend similar sites for jet ski? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts