Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Dan. I've never owned a jet ski before but I am considering the purchase at this time. Looking to seek any advice you can offer please.

The ski's: 2003 Polaris Virage I, yellow, 2 stroke engine....never any problems....plugs changed a couple times for maint.

2007 Kawaski STX-15F, blue and white, 4 stroke, never any problems, oil changes for maint.

Both ski's have covers and have been stored outdoors (winterized each year) in Pittsburgh. Sale includes a dual aluminum trailer with good tires and spare. They are owned by my neighbor I grew up next to (very trusting ADULT) He has owned both since they were new as well as a jet boat. They were never on the rivers or ocean, always fresh water lakes. He says props are both in good condition and ski's should start right up. He didn't get to use them at all last season. He says he is going to advertise the whole package for $6,000 but for me he'd sell it at $5,000.

Me I live in Pittsburgh so my season is only 4 months or so? I would transport the ski's back and forth towing with my 2001 Nissan Xterra with 140,000 miles. I am some-what mechanical but I don't want to get over my head with repairs I don't know how to do or have time to do. I'm basically hoping to pick these up, use them for 2-3 years maybe and not have to do much to them other than maint. Is this possible or do they need constant repairs?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
$5000 is probably not a bad deal at all. I wouldn't pay much for the Polaris, they were never known to be very reliable, and the company went out of the ski business in 2004. When that one breaks you may be best off just selling off the parts...........there are lots of guys always looking for parts for them, and you might even make a few dollars.

The Kaw F15 seems to be comming up a lot lately on this forum. It is a good riding ski from everything that I've heard, and my friend who works at a Kaw/Yamaha dealership and repairs their skis, tells me that the F15 is probably their most reliable ski. That said, Kawasaki is generally considered the least reliable jet ski manufacturer..........at least from an evaluation done several years ago.

I'd say go for it. I don't think you will find a better deal on 2 skis plus an aluminum trailer with one of the skis a 4 stroke (the Kaw is basically worth the $5000 alone), and I doubt that your neighbor would be trying to pass on a couple of lemons to someone he has to see every day.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I agree with Ernest $5k sounds like a deal. Don"t know about the Polaris but like Ernest said you can"t go wrong with the STX-15f.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The breakdown as I've seen for a market in iowa is: kawi 15f $5k, polaris $2k and the trailer $700

1 - 4 of 4 Posts