Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just picked up 2 2006 FX Cruiser HOs on a double continental trailer to use with my family (4 of us). We took a risk and bought a pair that the original owner had let sit for a year (his guess). He stored them in garage when new but eventually stored them outside in their covers under a carport type cover in the yard. Cosmetically, they are surprisingly nice looking with the exception of small brown/black spots on the handlebar chin-pad area. Anyone know how to scrub these off? Anyway, we got them with dead batteries and without being able to run them so it was risky. Original owner estimated 40 hours on each. We drained most of the gas with a syphon and it smelled and looked like normal gas so that was a good sign. I looked at the dipsticks when the engines were just cold and there was about half an inch of oil on one (normal or low? Sitting a year+ have any effect on levels), and the other didn't have any (I don't see pools of oil anywhere in the hull). We got a stick and checked with that in the one that was lower and saw some oil on the stick. So I added just a little 10w-40 to that ski so that the stick would read like the other one did just so we could see if the skis start (we are going to take them to a shop for new oil/filters/plugs. So we drained most of the old gas/refilled with new gas, put a little oil in one, and we looked at the air filters-fine, and we got new batteries charged up and dropped them in each. We took them out of the garage into the driveway apter reading about the keys and functions of the dash and figured out which keys fit which unit. So then we started one and it actually started immediately without hesitation and no throttle needed to keep it alive. We let it idle for maybe 30-40 seconds and then turned the water on so it would flush water through. We let it sit for about 5-8 minutes just letting it idle and we revved it to maybe 3k at most and let it idle some more, shut the water off, and then for about 15 seconds played with the throttle so it would shoot the rest of the water out of the tank. So, so far that ski seems to be running (we won't actually take them out until we get the oil/filter/plugs done). The next ski went through the same procedure except we just did it about 10 minutes ago because we had to wait on the battery to charge up so we didn't actually run it more than 15 seconds just sitting in the garage with no water (it idled like normal and tomorrow I will be hooking the water up to it and letting it run a little longer). When I turned that ski on, it didn't make the BEEP noise at all. Not once, twice, or three times. The green light flashed two or three times (not sure if it was low or normal mode) but that's all it did before it started. Also, it seems like the fuel pump was humming for a while before it would let me try to start it. If I hit the starter when it was in the middle of the hum sound it would just make a single click noise like a dead battery in a car does. So I thought my battery was low but the volts on the other ski read 12.5 and the volts on the ski that doesn't beep reads the same volts. Any ideas on why it won't beep?

Sorry for the super long post but I wanted to give all the detailed info I can to see what everyone thinks. I did try searching the no beep here and on google but came up without any great answer. One guy kept calling it a horn that is stuck but is it really a horn? I would just call it a beeping tone but maybe it is a horn. Any and all info would be much appreciated. I guess in summary, my main questions are:

1) Low oil reading in both machines when cold and even after starting the one up and letting it run for 8 minutes lead to the oil still being under the L on the dipstick (no oil lights came on either ski). Normal for a machine that's been sitting about a year or longer?

2) No beep noise on one ski. Anyone heard of this before? Solutions?

3) Mold-like brown/black spots on rubber center part of handlebars from sitting outside under a cover. Any way to scrub them off?

Again, sorry for the LONG post but I want to be clear on what's going on with my skis that I've had for a day. Tomorrow I will start the ski up that doesn't beep and I'll let it run for about 8 minutes or so and see if anything magical happens and the beep works.

Thanks for reading :eek:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1. Low oil reading on these skis cold is normal! DO NOT OVERFILL THE OIL = THE MOST COMMON MISTAKE MADE ON THIS MODEL. On my ski you can barely see the oil on the dipstick when cold. Always check the oil only when the engine is hot on this model. You will need to run it over 5 minutes on the hose. Best time to check it is after you have ridden in on the water when it is perfectly level and hot. Stop the engine and immediately check the oil........don't let it sit for long...........shoot for a level 1/2 between max. and min. on the dip stick. SECOND MOST COMMON PROBLEM WITH THIS MODEL SKI = FOULED SPARK PLUGS. If it starts to run weird, change the plugs as a first step.

2. If it is starting, I wouldn't be too worried about the buzzer not working. May just be a bad buzzer, or loose wire. The buzzer is an easy replacement if you need a new one, but I'd check the connections first. You can look at the lights on the display to see what mode it is in (locked, low rpm, or normal).

3. Starbrite makes a good mildew remover for boats, and there are many others. Plain old baking soda and vinegar works almost as well. I also have found that a "Magic Eraser" works wonders on boats and skis to remove just about any stain.

Download an owners' manual here: My Yamaha Prompt - Owners Manual

You got some great skis..........enjoy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help Ernest. The first thing I did was download that manual but thanks for suggesting it. Those books do wonders. When I started the other ski today and let it run for maybe 8 minutes on the hose, I checked the oil after shutting the water and ski off and maybe I waited a minute before checking the dipstick and it read like the other one did which is under the L mark. Am I waiting too long maybe? I'll look for the buzzer part on a schematic but do you know off the top of your head where it's located and what it looks like? It may be corroded or something. Also, when I started the non beeping ski, I thought I saw the green light flash 3 times which is L-mode BUT the l-mode light wasn't on when it was running or sitting there so I don't think it actually was in the L-mode. I'm going to tackle the oil/plugs job myself with the use of a good pump. I was surprised at how small the oil filters look because I'm used to motorcycle filters which seem bigger. I'll try that cleaning tip so thanks for that. My ears are open to every piece of info or advice anyone throws at me because I've had tons of help from several motorcycle forums in the past.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah! I forgot one other question. The QSTS trim adjuster. Does your freely change between the 3 settings when sitting on a trailer? I squeeze the purple trigger but neither budge at all. I tried it when the ski was running with the hose and nothing happened there either. Do I have to be in the water? Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
I use Soft Scrub with a light duty scrubbie works great on vinyl.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The buzzer is in the handlebar area. I've seen it when I've had that area apart, but can't remember exactly where. You should be able to see it when you remove the handlebar cover.

The Trim system should move freely when the ski is off unless something is against the nozzle. It is actually hard to change the trim when the ski is moving fast on the water, because the thrust makes it more difficult. If the skis have been sitting the cables may be corroded (especially if they were used in salt water). You will need a service manual to take apart enough stuff to be able to get to all points and free or replace them. The good news is that you will rarely need to use the trim system. I use it occasionally when carrying heavy passengers, or when towing something, but even then it is not a necessity.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
After thinking about it, I may be misleading you on the buzzer. There is a buzzer, but there may be a separate "beeper" inside the display. I'm just not sure that the beeps you hear when you hit the remote is coming from the buzzer or not. If that sound comes from the display instead there would be no way to fix it if it is broken, since the display is sealed. About all you could hope for is a loose/corroded connection someplace. The buzzer itself can be removed and easily tested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that sucks about the trim because both are just stuck. One is stuck in the N mode but the other is in a different mode. I'll try to locate the trim cables/moving mechanism and see if I can fix them. If anyone has a diagram of them that would be great because I really don't want broken parts on my skis. I'll also look into the beeper under the handlebar. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scratch that! I ended up just taking the mechanism on the handle apart today on both skis and greased the stuff out of them and greased the mechanism that's on the hull and broke them both free and now they're smooth as butter. My next challenge is taking off the oil filters because for whatever reason the dealer decided to put a death grip on each of them when they did that 10 hour service. I bought a 3 prong oil filter wrench that tightens as it turns so hopefully it'll take the old filters off without crumpling them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts