Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just signed up to the forums and wanted to say hello! I live in new orleans la, and just picked up a new yamaha fzs...They are rated to go about 68 mph on the water, but for some reason mine does 74 mph...

It says its tuned to run on 87 gas, but I have been running 93. Idk if that has anything to do with it but it sure is fast/

Where do I find some buddies on here to jet ski with in the new orleans area?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It may say its going 74 mph on the "Dream-O-Meter", but the on board speedometers on jet skis are notoriously inaccurate. Check it with a GPS, and you will see that your speed is actually much closer to 67-68 mph.

You gain no speed improvement in running your FZS on higher octane fuel. Higher octane fuels are made to prevent pre-ignition (knocking) in certain types of engines, not to give more power. So, your wasting your money running 93 octane in you FZS if you are doing it for more power.

That said, there may be some benefit to running 93 octane fuel, in that higher octane fuels often contain less ethanol, and more detergents than lower grade fuels. Ethanol is especially bad for marine engines. The best fuel for your FZS would be 87 octane non-ethanol fuel, but that combination is extremely hard to find. I'm running 89 octane non-ethanol fuel in mine, because that is the only grade locally that I can find with no ethanol.

You have a great ski, that I'm sure that you will enjoy. Sorry, I don't know anyone in New Orleans area.

Are you aware of the "bucking" issue with the FZS? You may want to consider a new intake grate and ride plate as your first modification if you plan to ride at full speed.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sorry to bust your bubble

Hey Vettedriver, well thats one thing we have in common. I own a 2003 50th Anniversary Z06 Corvette and so does the guy I am about to hook you up with in LA. Well first things first PWC industry has an agreement with Ins. companies to govern the top speed to 68 mph. For instance my fastest ski is a 2006 Seadoo RXT with an aftermarket RIVA Stage III kit. That brought it up to 295 HP from the stock 215 HP. On a good day with light fuel it will top out at 76 Mph measured by GPS, Ernest is right the only way to get any more out of ski is through mods.

Now that brings me full circle to my friend Jerry Gaddis. He owns a PWC performance shop as well the "GREEN HULK" jet ski forum which has a great number of members with qualityinfo through their posts. You can easily find him by searching Face Book for him. I always run premium fuel in all my skis. He also rides in your area and loves Corvettes. His Z06 is 1000 HP.:D

Take Care and good luck
Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a 04 z06, and its on my lift right now being built. Im going to install hinson supercars single turbo kit and im for 800 RWHP. we shall see!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts