Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to introduce myself to this new forum. We bought our ski's brand new and I have always taken them into the dealer for service. They have been sitting out in storage for 6 months.

Its been 2 years since they had a tune up, so I may start there.

Looking forward to learning more about servicing these machines.

Peace!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Welcome! You have 2 very reliable skis, and they are very easy to maintain yourself. Check this link out for tips on changing oil and spark plugs (scroll down): Technical Tips for your Yamaha PWC / Jet ski - Full Wave Marine If you have specific questions, fire away. I have an FXHO and do my own maintenance, and the FX is the same in most aspects. Plus there are many guys around that have much more experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ernest .....appreciate the link. Now to start the process.

Have you heard anything about Iridium Spark plugs??? Maybe best to stay with stock NGK.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
NGK does make a set of iridium plugs that fit the ski: CR9EIX, and a dual electrode plug that can also be used: CR9EK. However, I do not know of anyone using them. I see no disadvantage other than the price. I may give them a try the next time I change plugs. You could give them a try if you want and report back if you see a performance increase.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Might as well give them a try, while I am going through both skis. I am adventurous in trying to get a little more performance out of my ski.

What are your thoughts on Riva performance parts? i.e. Their Power Filter, Velocity Stacks, Intake Plate...etc

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Here is my take on the Riva parts mentioned:
Velocity Stacks: look neat, but will not increase performance any noticable amount (waste of $ IMO)
Filter: Not as susceptable to damage as the OEM filter, and costs less. Probably a good replacement option if you need a new filter (rare unless you over filled your oil). Will give no performance increase. Some guys ride without any filter.
Intake Grate, and Ride Plate: Worth considering if you ride in rough water. The intake grate will give you better hook up, and the ride plate a little more stability, both may give you 1 more mph. However, I'd recommend the R&D intake grate and ride plate rather than the Riva.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Ernest. I will stick to stock if I am not going to see much of an improvement on performance. I will taking the plugs out tomorrow to see what they look like. They were changed 2 years ago at the dealer and may not be that bad.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts