Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a '94 Polaris SL650 that has belonged to my parents since new. It is in great condition and always ran perfectly, but it has been parked in the garage for about 6-7 years. During this time it has not been started at all. I know I will need to drain any gas that's in it and replace the battery, but what else should I do before I try to start it?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spark plugs, air filter, gas treatment recommend sea foam, fuel filter
Oh yeah, sea foam. I will definately get some of that. Any idea where a good place to buy the filter would be? I live in a small town, and it's a 75+ mile drive to Phoenix, so I'd prefer to just get them form an on-line store.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I had a guy I work with recommend that I squirt a small ammount of oil in the cylinders and then turn the engine by hand - is this a good idea?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Long storage

the only thing that would really concern me is the oil pump. If it is equiped with one. I cannot remember if that machine had one or not. If it does you will want to replace it or run premix. They are notorious for long storage decay. Meaning...Kaboom in very short time! and...you cant get parts very easy for them since polaris watercraft is bye bye!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only thing that would really concern me is the oil pump. If it is equiped with one. I cannot remember if that machine had one or not. If it does you will want to replace it or run premix. They are notorious for long storage decay. Meaning...Kaboom in very short time! and...you cant get parts very easy for them since polaris watercraft is bye bye!:thumbsup:

It does have an oil pump. Years ago I had an X2 that I just used premix in - the oil pumps on them were notorious for taking a dump too. Running premix in the SL650 shoulldn't really cause any problems, should it? What mixture would I use? (it's been such a lond time since I've had to mix anything other than gas for our chainsaws at work) Do I just use any marine 2-stroke oil?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help!! Now I have a project for Sunday. . . block off oil lines, install new battery, get new plugs, change out the gas (and add a bit of sea foam), and fire it up (hopefully). When I block the oil lines, do I need to do anything to disable the oil pump from running? If so, how?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, does anyone have any opinions on swaping out the stock air box/filter for a K&N one? The K&N one is far cheaper than replacing the stock one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, another question. . . That kit comes with the block off plate and some plugs for the lines, but I found another kit that also includes a plug to fill the space where the shaft was. Which one is better?

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have found that fuel filters are mostly the same i get mine from wal mart just make sure it is the right size for the hose to fit on and you should be fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts