Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2010 VX Deluxe and a 2011 VXS and need some expert advice from the forum. First, what would you guys suggest I get for a first time owner. Second, where do you guys buy from online?
For example, covers, anchors (what type-mushroom??), ropes, first aid/safety gear, cleaning (wax, water spot cleaner type) etc. etc. Basically a PWC checklist/want list. I have already gotten a lot of great info on oil changes and winterization that will save me a lot of money and headache so any other info you thing I need feel free to impart your wisdom. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Here is what I keep on mine: tow rope, dock lines, waterproof bags, fenders, collapsible paddle, anchor, extra quart of oil, extra spark plugs (my model ski fouls them easily), tool kit, first aid kit, small cooler with drinks, sunscreen, riding gloves, and riding goggles (floating type). I ride on a lake and have a SeaTow membership since I also own a boat. For the ocean, there would be a whole different list (GPS, VHS radio, flares, ditch bag, etc..).

Anchor type will depend on where you ride. In a lake or river, I recommend one of these simple screw types for shallow water situations (I never anchor in deep water on the lake): Jet Logic PWC Screw Anchor System - SportsAuthority.com, or you can go to Harbor Freight tools or a pet store and buy a just the screw part and add a rope for around $5. I've tried mushroom, and sand bag types of anchors and they are worthless in any current. The screw anchor above will not work in sand, so forget it if you are in the ocean. In the ocean look at a Danforth type of anchor, or one of these which holds well in sandy bottoms: Boat anchors for yachts, jet skis, inflatables, fishing, diving, cruising, sailing, or tinnys and Kayaks boats - Cooper Anchors Be sure to add an appropriate amount of chain to keep the anchor where it needs to be.

Best wax/polish I've found is this stuff: Star brite - Catalog - Product Detail. I use 303 Aerospace protectant on rubber, vinyl, and plastic parts. Get a couple of cans of Fluid Film at your local John Deere store, or CRC 656, or Corrosion X (what ever is available) to spray the metal parts of the ski to prevent corrosion.

Amazon has about as good of prices as anyone, and you save on shipping. For parts they don't have, I like Parker Yamaha: http://www.parkeryamaha.com/

·
Registered
811 Posts
On line shopping

Here is a good place for supplies watercraftsuperstore.com. What type of bottom are you trying to anchor in? I use a folding star anchor, does real well in sand or soft bottoms. Folds up nice for storage. Good selection of tubes and apparel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I forgot to add that I will be riding in lakes only at this point. Lake Powell etc. Thanks for the quick replies and advice. Keep em coming.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts