Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just put our 2010 Wake Pro 215 in the water, and flipped it right away making a slow turn with 3 people on it. Also, it keeps tipping back and forth (like a motorcycle) even in a straight line, if you turn the handlebars even slightly. They made a big deal in the brochure about the new "S3" hull they put on it for 2010, but it looks like a bad idea, and now no ones wants to ride it. I think it was a big mistake to get this model, and it's really scary for the passengers when it keeps tipping left and right as you are riding. Others on our lake who have Sea Doos without this S3 hull report no such problems, and I have ridden their machines myself with no tippiness.

Has anyone else had this problem with such an unsafe ride on the new Wake Pro 215?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't own this model and have not ridden one, but it obviously doesn't make sense for them to build it like this on purpose. It seems to me that the stabilizers aren't doing the job. Is it at all possible that the stabilizers are missing? They are found on both sides of the hull near the back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dangerously Tippy Wake Pro 215

Thanks, DVANPHAM - I have sent a message to the dealer, and there are water inlet grills at the back that I suppose also function as lifting strakes and maybe help stabilize as well, but our tip over happened while turning at quite a slow speed so I'm not sure that would have helped. It is more likely a problem with a higher Center of gravity on the new S3 hull. They say in the brochure that the hull is 20% lighter, and my friend's 2009 RXT 215 does sit lower in the water than mine. On the other hand, here is what the brochure says about the new S3 Hull:

"Stepped, stable, and strong, the S3 Hull takes a page from high-performance boats. The step is behind the intake, allowing the hull bottom to be ventilated. It also decreases pressure at the transom as the watercraft crosses over the chop, allowing the bow to stay up at a positive angle rather than be pushed down into the next wave. This results in reduced drag and a smoother, faster ride.

The S3 hull features a narrow chine, minimizing lateral wave impact and roll for better stability. Increased length and a deep-V design help streamline your passage. And ribbed construction renders it extremely solid. It also features both upper-deck and under-the-hull splash deflectors.

And to top it all off, the material that makes up the S3 Hull reduces its overall weight by 50 pounds (22.7 kg) - making it 20% lighter than competitive hulls."

So, the way Sea Doo advertises it, you would think the new S3 hull would be MORE stable, but on the other hand most of the comments above refer to stability at higher speeds, and stability over waves and chop. (We were going quite slow when we tipped over.) As well, someone told me later that Sea Doos are "incredibly tippy", so now I am really confused about how to deal with this.

Perhaps one solution would be to add ballast, and indeed the 2009 models had an option for removeable rear ballast tanks to help give you a better wake. Does anyone on the forum have them, and have you found that they also increase stability? Note that you cannot get them for the 2010's (yet?) but I am thinking that they may become available later in the model year?

I'd very much appreciate any comments forum members would care to share, because I am at a complete loss about what to do, and not at all happy about this big surprise on my brand new Sea Doo!:dunno:

·
Registered
9 Posts
hm, that is an unusual problem, i have the rxt-x with the same hull and i have no problems with stability. i had 3 grown people on it in choppy water and we were fine.

also are your passengers leaning and moving around alot on the back? because that makes a big difference. it is simular to a motorcycle so you need to tell them to sit still and not move around or lean to one side.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have to agree it is a passenger thing either not sitting correctly or too heavy i.e. overloaded, I own the 2009 RXT-IS 255 with a very high center of gravity with the heavy suspension and if there were going to be a tippy ski it would be this one. I am 6' 1" and weigh 225 lbs and don't have a problem with tipping, however having said that I own a 2006 RXT and it is more stable at idle both with and with out passengers. It is a little bit of a trade off. It is like trying to compare a 24 degree deadrise boat hull to a semi vee-hull. You are going to have better stabilty with a semi-vee hull at an idle but the deep-vee hull will give you better performance and ride at faster speeds. Thats the best way I can explain it. Sorry can't have it both ways.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'll be able to provide a first hand impression next week when I take delivery of my 2010 RXT X. My last Sea Doo was a 2004 GTX 4TEC SC. I found it pretty stable at idle, but with 2 - 15 year old boys on the back I had to be a bit careful. I store my Sea Doo on a floating dock. We launch by the 2 passengers getting on and I push the Sea Doo off the dock backwards as I hop on. On a couple of occasions, if the passengers weren't sitting centered, the Sea Doo would roll over. I can imagine it will be worse with the new S3 hull, so I'll have to be more careful.

I too expect that part of your "problem" has to do with weight distribution of passengers at idle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dangeroudly tippy Sea Doo - The story gets worse.

I'll be able to provide a first hand impression next week when I take delivery of my 2010 RXT X. My last Sea Doo was a 2004 GTX 4TEC SC. I found it pretty stable at idle, but with 2 - 15 year old boys on the back I had to be a bit careful. I store my Sea Doo on a floating dock. We launch by the 2 passengers getting on and I push the Sea Doo off the dock backwards as I hop on. On a couple of occasions, if the passengers weren't sitting centered, the Sea Doo would roll over. I can imagine it will be worse with the new S3 hull, so I'll have to be more careful.

I too expect that part of your "problem" has to do with weight distribution of passengers at idle.
Well, that's just great. Now I have to worry about the stupid thing tipping over as I drive it off the dock! I just bought a new EZ Dock "EZ Port MAX" so I could store the Sea Doo out of the water, and I was thinking of putting it beside my existing floating dock, so I could get on it more easily. However, if Gover423's experiences are indicative, my passengers may very well smack their heads on the dock as the Sea Doo tips over while it is being launched! I should have bought a Yamaha or something that is safer - what a mistake!

(P.S. The key doesn't work worth a damn either - sometimes I have to put it on and pull it off several times before it finally starts, and from what I have heard I am not the only one. Once when I let the kids off to swim I couldn't get going again and was almost smashed up against the rocks by the waves as I drifted in while frantically trying to restart the Sea Doo. Nice quality control.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, that's just great. Now I have to worry about the stupid thing tipping over as I drive it off the dock! I just bought a new EZ Dock "EZ Port MAX" so I could store the Sea Doo out of the water, and I was thinking of putting it beside my existing floating dock, so I could get on it more easily. However, if Gover423's experiences are indicative, my passengers may very well smack their heads on the dock as the Sea Doo tips over while it is being launched! I should have bought a Yamaha or something that is safer - what a mistake!

(P.S. The key doesn't work worth a damn either - sometimes I have to put it on and pull it off several times before it finally starts, and from what I have heard I am not the only one. Once when I let the kids off to swim I couldn't get going again and was almost smashed up against the rocks by the waves as I drifted in while frantically trying to restart the Sea Doo. Nice quality control.)
Snake,

I hope with a bit of practice at the dock we'll be able to overcome the less stable design. I might consider launching off the dock without passengers and then bringing the Sea Doo alongside the floating dock for the others to board. I think reversing into the water is a bit tricky anyway. I guess I'll see when I start riding. From what I've read, most people are praising the improved rough water performance and handling. I guess there is a trade off - hopefully not too much for the recreational riders like us.

As for the DESS post, I think yours is the only complaint I have read so far - which is a good thing. Have you talked to the dealer about it? Sea Doo has been making the system for almost 10 years now so I'd be surprised if it is a widespread design problem as opposed to a defective part. Of course just because I'd be surprised, doesn't mean it isn't so!

Let us know what the dealer says about the DESS.

grover

·
Registered
811 Posts
Snake don't throw in the towel!!!!!!

:thumbsup::DGood morning Snake,

Don't throw in the towel yet. About your key, I had the same problem with my 09 RXT-IS. It is a simple fix, just get a new key programed from your dealer @ no charge, tell him there was a TSB about this and the fix is a different key. Must of had some bad keys. Mine works fine now. When I take passengers on my RXT-IS it can be tricky at idle, I find that making sure myself and passengers are centered when riding and don't lean over until the ski planes off then fun begins at planing speeds. The S3 hull is designed to handle chop by slicing through it rather then punding thru it and on glass it has so much bite when cornering it can throw you off if you don't move to counter balance it. There is a nite and day difference between the S3 hull and my 2006 RXT hull. Basically at the end of the day your back will thank for the S3 hull. It also can get loose if you apply to much power when turning because of the stepped hull. While gaining a performance tp end speed due the bubbling effect of a stepped hull but the friction reducing effect also means less backend grip which can make it slide out when overpowered while turning. I know this because I own a 29' performance boat with twin 454 Mags and a stepped hull,same effect. Just rember the greater the deadrise, and a narrower beam will make a craft more "tippy". I think once you become more familar with your ski you will know its quirks and enjoy it a lot more. My answer is when things get to crowded buy another ski,lol. Good Luck stay in touch and remember Sea Doo rules!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
:thumbsup::DGood morning Snake,

Don't throw in the towel yet. About your key, I had the same problem with my 09 RXT-IS. It is a simple fix, just get a new key programed from your dealer @ no charge, tell him there was a TSB about this and the fix is a different key. Must of had some bad keys. Mine works fine now. When I take passengers on my RXT-IS it can be tricky at idle, I find that making sure myself and passengers are centered when riding and don't lean over until the ski planes off then fun begins at planing speeds. The S3 hull is designed to handle chop by slicing through it rather then punding thru it and on glass it has so much bite when cornering it can throw you off if you don't move to counter balance it. There is a nite and day difference between the S3 hull and my 2006 RXT hull. Basically at the end of the day your back will thank for the S3 hull. It also can get loose if you apply to much power when turning because of the stepped hull. While gaining a performance tp end speed due the bubbling effect of a stepped hull but the friction reducing effect also means less backend grip which can make it slide out when overpowered while turning. I know this because I own a 29' performance boat with twin 454 Mags and a stepped hull,same effect. Just rember the greater the deadrise, and a narrower beam will make a craft more "tippy". I think once you become more familar with your ski you will know its quirks and enjoy it a lot more. My answer is when things get to crowded buy another ski,lol. Good Luck stay in touch and remember Sea Doo rules!!!

Hi Outlaw,

I wonder whether the X is as tippy as the iS at slow speeds. My understanding is the suspension creates a higher center of gravity (relative to the X) and makes it even tippier. I guess I'll get a chance to experience it first hand in a week or so - just picking mine up on Saturday - but rain and cool weather predicted for the weekend will keep me off the water for one more week.

grover

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sea Doo Dangerously tippy

Hey, guys, thanks a bunch for the great feedback and suggestions.

Grover, I agree it will be best to slide the Sea Doo off the dock first, then load passengers, and in fact that was one of my tentative plans. Another one would be to attach the EZ Port dock safely away from the floater, so that there is a clear space on both sides in case the Dea Doo tips over on launching. The disadvantage of the latter is that you would then have to tiptoe past the sides of your Sea Doo in order to walk up to the front and get off where the front it attaches to the fixed dock, and this can be tricky because the EZ Port dock platform is only 5' wide, 4' of which is taken up by the Sea Doo itself. I tried it when the EZ dock was just floating by itself, but chickened out because I was afraid the whole thing would tip over, dock and all. However, once I get the right parts in place I will be "attaching" the EZ Port dock to my fixed (crib) dock, which should stabilize the platform considerably. It will still be a pain to get on and off the platform with the Sea Doo on it, however, so I may attach more docking. (The sky is the limit when it comes to EZ components that you can add on to your system - have a look at the EZ dock website and you will be amazed. Just google "EZ Port MAX" and then scroll down to where you can download the manual, and you'll see.)

And thanks for the advice re: the key, Outlaw. I WILL be contacting my dealer and seeing if he knows about any TSBs. (I did speak to him earlier, about the key problem, but he just said I need to hit the red start button first, in order to "wake up" the system. Tried that. Still had problems.) I do hope I don't have to pull the ski out of the water and trailer it 1.5 hours to the dealer to get it rekeyed, but I am not optimistic!

Snake

·
Registered
35 Posts
Snake,

The EZ Dock system is used in our marina. There is a floating dock with about 10 Sea Doo floating "ports" attached to it. I find it quite stable and up until now I had no difficulty launching backwards off the port with 2 passengers on board (2004 GTX SC). I guess I'll know next week how much extra roll the new hull has and I'll adjust my procedure for launching accordingly.

I love the EZ Dock. the first year I owned a Sea Doo was 2003 and I moored it in the water in a boat slip with a few other Sea Doo's. To avoid banging it up I had to install padding on the side of the slip. At the end of the season it took allot of pressure washing and waxing to get the hull clean. I traded the 2003 model on a 2004 and from that point forward I've kept it on the EZ Dock. No bangs, no extra work and no buildup on the hull. When I traded it this spring, it looked like new.

The EZ Dock also makes it easy to get ready to go. In our case, because many are connected together, you cam walk around the See Doo to get the cover off, add fuel etc.

I'm sure you will get your DESS post/key issue resolved. If it was a widespread problem you would have seen dozens of complaints on the forums by now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Snake,

The EZ Dock system is used in our marina. There is a floating dock with about 10 Sea Doo floating "ports" attached to it. I find it quite stable and up until now I had no difficulty launching backwards off the port with 2 passengers on board (2004 GTX SC). I guess I'll know next week how much extra roll the new hull has and I'll adjust my procedure for launching accordingly.

I love the EZ Dock. the first year I owned a Sea Doo was 2003 and I moored it in the water in a boat slip with a few other Sea Doo's. To avoid banging it up I had to install padding on the side of the slip. At the end of the season it took allot of pressure washing and waxing to get the hull clean. I traded the 2003 model on a 2004 and from that point forward I've kept it on the EZ Dock. No bangs, no extra work and no buildup on the hull. When I traded it this spring, it looked like new.

The EZ Dock also makes it easy to get ready to go. In our case, because many are connected together, you cam walk around the See Doo to get the cover off, add fuel etc.

I'm sure you will get your DESS post/key issue resolved. If it was a widespread problem you would have seen dozens of complaints on the forums by now.
Hey Grover, I'm glad you like the EZ Dock system - it reinforces my decision to buy it, and I am so impressed with how easy it is to drive my Sea Doo up on to it. Indeed, if it were not for my budget, I would get a second EZ Port MAXto put right beside the first one, so my several cottage neighbours (who all own Sea Doos) could have a place to park when they visit, and so I could have lots of room to walk between the 2 Sea Doos to get up to the front of the platform. Alas, my wife says no, we like the neighbours, but not THAT much. So, for now it looks like I will have to get by with just the one!:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Grover, I'm glad you like the EZ Dock system - it reinforces my decision to buy it, and I am so impressed with how easy it is to drive my Sea Doo up on to it. Indeed, if it were not for my budget, I would get a second EZ Port MAXto put right beside the first one, so my several cottage neighbours (who all own Sea Doos) could have a place to park when they visit, and so I could have lots of room to walk between the 2 Sea Doos to get up to the front of the platform. Alas, my wife says no, we like the neighbours, but not THAT much. So, for now it looks like I will have to get by with just the one!:(
Do they make side extension "wings" you can add on to give you a bit more flotation and stability, as well as more space to walk around the side of your Sea Doo? I notice the side is a pretty thin walking place unless you have 2 connected together side by side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do they make side extension "wings" you can add on to give you a bit more flotation and stability, as well as more space to walk around the side of your Sea Doo? I notice the side is a pretty thin walking place unless you have 2 connected together side by side.
That is in fact exactly the problem, and no, there are no wings, so I am getting a 10' wide X 40" deep floater to attach to the front, which will in turn be attached to my fixed dock. Then, perhaps later I can get another EZ Dock Port MAX and have all 3 attached together as a nice unit. In the meantime, however, the EZ dock rep said you can in fact tiptoe along the side to get to the front, and if I have that big wide 10' floater attached to the front I think I will be OK because your toes can in fact be placed under the Sea Doo as you shuffle along sideways while holding on to the Sea Doo. I already tried it and it is a bit awkward but you can do it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is in fact exactly the problem, and no, there are no wings, so I am getting a 10' wide X 40" deep floater to attach to the front, which will in turn be attached to my fixed dock. Then, perhaps later I can get another EZ Dock Port MAX and have all 3 attached together as a nice unit. In the meantime, however, the EZ dock rep said you can in fact tiptoe along the side to get to the front, and if I have that big wide 10' floater attached to the front I think I will be OK because your toes can in fact be placed under the Sea Doo as you shuffle along sideways while holding on to the Sea Doo. I already tried it and it is a bit awkward but you can do it.
At least it sounds like you have your Sea Doo right at your place. I have to drive about 3 minutes to get to mine - which means laying down plastic in the car after getting soaked on the lake. Not so bad I guess. Some people have to trailer their jet ski every time they want to ride. I use my trailer two times/year. Out to the lake for the season and back to the city for heated winter storage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sea Doo Keys don't work

My Sea Doo key problem is getting worse (I have to try it as much as 15 or 20 times before I get the double beep that tells me the key is recognized and all is well to push the start button.) I tried "waking up" the system first plus some other combinations of procedures, and still the problem persists.

I did call the dealer who ran my VIN through the computer looking for a service bulletin - nothing. So, he said bring it in and he'll try new keys, and if that doesn't work, he said he'll contact the BRP "techies" to see if there have been other reports of a similar problem. So, two more trips to the dealer (one to drop it off and one to pick it up.)

Meanwhile, I did get the EZ dock system installed, and it works great. I first put a floating 40" X 10' section across the front of my fixed docks, attached to two 2.3" galvanized pipes which were each (a) driven into the lake bottom right next to the dock, (b) covered with a 3.5" PVC sleeve, and (c) attached to the fixed dock with clamps. I then attached the front end of the EZ Dock Port MAX to 1/2 of the floating dock, perpendicular to it but beside my wood ramp. It looks great, works great, and there's room for another Port MAX in the future in case I get another jetski or want to have parking for the neighbours' jetskis.:appl:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Sea Doo key problem is getting worse (I have to try it as much as 15 or 20 times before I get the double beep that tells me the key is recognized and all is well to push the start button.) I tried "waking up" the system first plus some other combinations of procedures, and still the problem persists.

I did call the dealer who ran my VIN through the computer looking for a service bulletin - nothing. So, he said bring it in and he'll try new keys, and if that doesn't work, he said he'll contact the BRP "techies" to see if there have been other reports of a similar problem. So, two more trips to the dealer (one to drop it off and one to pick it up.)

Meanwhile, I did get the EZ dock system installed, and it works great. I first put a floating 40" X 10' section across the front of my fixed docks, attached to two 2.3" galvanized pipes which were each (a) driven into the lake bottom right next to the dock, (b) covered with a 3.5" PVC sleeve, and (c) attached to the fixed dock with clamps. I then attached the front end of the EZ Dock Port MAX to 1/2 of the floating dock, perpendicular to it but beside my wood ramp. It looks great, works great, and there's room for another Port MAX in the future in case I get another jetski or want to have parking for the neighbours' jetskis.:appl:
Snake,

I got my X in the water for about 1/2 hour this weekend. I posted my initial impressions in this thread:

http://www.pwcforum.com/sea-doo-jetski/6037-anyone-have-rxt-x.html

I too find the ket a pain, but I haven't had as much trouble as it sounds like you are having. I trailered it home to the city tonight and played with it in the garage a bit. The method I use is to hit the start button to wake up the system. When the tach and speedo needles settle, I plug the key in. 5 out of 6 times it works the first time. I'm wondering if there is a time window -don't plug the key in too soon and don't wait too long before plugging the key in?? The dealer mentioned something about hearing a relay click in the rear and then plugging the key in. I hope yours can be sorted out. Let's just say it is a poor system. Whatever reason they have to require this start up procedure, it may work well from their systems design perspective, but ti isn't a user friendly system and doesn't allow for a quick restart in an emergency situation.

As for the dock, our marina has the first generation EZ Dock system. I read on the website that there is a newer drive up dock for deep vee hull sea doos. Mine sits quite high on the rollers. There is no way the marina is going to replace a section for me, but I think there is some adjustment in the current dock to lower my hull. I'm going to contact EZ Dock tomorrow to make enquiries.

PS I didn't notice the X being overly "tippy". While I didn't have passengers, I spent a fair bit of time at idle practicing with the forward/reverse/neutral system and shifting my weight around. It seemed fine to me - and the turning improvement at speed (along with better tracking and a better ride) is worth the trade off, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EZ Port Max-What rollers

I just got the EZ Port Max for my RXT255IS. While the one in the brochure has torpedo shaped rollers, the one delivered has roller balls with various spacers. I've contemplated calling to ask the dealer but the roller balls seem to offer good stability except for the first two feet of entry. Does anyone know the difference, did I get one of the earlier leftover models, or have they modified the rollers to better accomodate the deep V huls?

BTW, I have that same nuisance with key despite having it replaced already once.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got the EZ Port Max for my RXT255IS. While the one in the brochure has torpedo shaped rollers, the one delivered has roller balls with various spacers. I've contemplated calling to ask the dealer but the roller balls seem to offer good stability except for the first two feet of entry. Does anyone know the difference, did I get one of the earlier leftover models, or have they modified the rollers to better accomodate the deep V huls?

BTW, I have that same nuisance with key despite having it replaced already once.
Maybe Sea Doo can address this problem if it turns out to be widespread. Mine isn't too bad, but could be easier. I won't be lending it to anyone for a ride before training them on how to restart it and practicing with them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts