Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a pair of 96 an 94 yamaha waveraiders. ones a 700 and ones a 760. hes wanting to sale both with a trailer for 3000. one needs a new set of the mats u put ur feet on, one has a few scratches an paint chipped off in a little spot. would this be worth paying 3k for? Im brand new to the waverunners an this sport, came from ridin 4 wheelers they got really old so im just kinda get an opinion on what there worth. If they are worth it is there a way i repaint? And how much do mats cost for the whole set?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The older 90's model skis tend to be harder to ride and more unstable that newer machines. If you have never ridden a ski before, or if you have only ridden the newer machines, you may be very disappointed with skis from that era.

IMO the older the ski the more mechanically inclined you need to be or have a jet ski mechanic as a friend to look the skis over for you. Before you can decide on their value questions like: how many hours on each ski?, ever used in salt water?, have the carbs been rebuilt? is the compression good on all cylinders?

I would also insist on a test ride, which would answer many questions about their worth, and whether or not you would be comfortable on them.

You can paint skis, but like boats it is not as easy and requires more expensive paint and preparation to do it right. Hydroturf replacement mats are not real expensive ($60-$120 depending on the ski), and pretty easy to put on yourself (getting the old mats off is the hard part).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive ridden a 98 model and a 95 stand up.. i dont have a alot of hours of riding them but ive ridden for abt a day or 2 an didnt have to much problems. definately gonna do a test ride, is there anything in specific i should look for. ive built 4 wheeler motors from ground up, so that should help. so kinda depends on how they run pretty much?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea. A test ride will answer many questions and insure that the engine and pump systems are working correctly, which are the main things. If they run good on the water, through turns, from low to high throttle, and the engine compartment is dry after the ride, you have 95% of the information you need.

Sounds like you alread know your way around an engine, and these are pretty basic 2 strokes, so there is not much to them. Look for the same things you would look at on a 4 wheeler.

Look for signs of corrosion inside the engine compartment (especially if they have been in salt water), and look at the impeller with a flashlight to be sure there are no dents, or gaps between it and the housing, which will reduce performance. Check the hull for cracks and places where the gelcoat is separating which can happen in areas where water stands. Check hoses and clamps for cracks and brittleness. I can't think of much else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This way be a dumb question, but i know i atv 2 strokes u gotta mix before pouring the gas. are these the same way or do they mix themselves?
And what type of 2 stroke is good for these?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
This way be a dumb question, but i know i atv 2 strokes u gotta mix before pouring the gas. are these the same way or do they mix themselves?
And what type of 2 stroke is good for these?
I think that these were oil injected with a separate oil tank (most of the Yamaha models are). Some owners convert them to premix.

Yamaha always recommends using their 2 stroke oil, but I doubt it matters too much in this ski.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts