Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've had my PWC out 3 times so far and each time I've had issues getting the dang thing on the trailer. Perhaps someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.

For starters, my craft is secured to the trailer using the winch, which has it's line going UNDER the roller (or whatever it's called) that's just behind the winch. I was told that this was the preferred method, rather than going over the roller w/ the winch line.

I've tried putting the trailer just low enough into the water that I could get the craft started onto the trailer and just winch it the rest of the way up. The problem is that since my winch line goes under the roller, I can't get the nose of the craft to go over (and rest on) the roller.

So, I then put the trailer further into the water, thus allowing me to winch it up and get the nose over the roller, but now the craft is floating over the trailer and I had to have someone hold it steady over the runners on the trailer while I pull out of the water.

A friend told me to put the trailer in just far enough so that the craft will hit the runners and just drive the PWC up onto the trailer, which will put the nose over the roller. I'm hesitant to do this as some sites so that this is a no-no.

Anyways, what am I doing wrong? thanks in advance....

·
Registered
811 Posts
Giterdone

Ok, so I've had my PWC out 3 times so far and each time I've had issues getting the dang thing on the trailer. Perhaps someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.

For starters, my craft is secured to the trailer using the winch, which has it's line going UNDER the roller (or whatever it's called) that's just behind the winch. I was told that this was the preferred method, rather than going over the roller w/ the winch line.

I've tried putting the trailer just low enough into the water that I could get the craft started onto the trailer and just winch it the rest of the way up. The problem is that since my winch line goes under the roller, I can't get the nose of the craft to go over (and rest on) the roller.

So, I then put the trailer further into the water, thus allowing me to winch it up and get the nose over the roller, but now the craft is floating over the trailer and I had to have someone hold it steady over the runners on the trailer while I pull out of the water.

A friend told me to put the trailer in just far enough so that the craft will hit the runners and just drive the PWC up onto the trailer, which will put the nose over the roller. I'm hesitant to do this as some sites so that this is a no-no.

Anyways, what am I doing wrong? thanks in advance....
Hey there, what your doing wrong is listening to goofy websites. I have owned a Boat and jet skis for about thirty years. I think if I can power up a 29 ' 7000 lb Outlaw with twin 454 Mags on a bunk trailer and Ford F 250. I think you will be alright with about a 650 lb jet ski. Seriously, The only time I use a winch is if the ski won't run. I have a 300 HP RXT, a 255 HP RXT-IS and a 215 HP 2008 GTX, they all power load on the trailer real easy. Even my newb girlfriend can load them. What you want to do is back up the trailer until the fenders are covered, stop, then bring the ski in slow and center it between the bunks as you glide into the bunks let it settle and then give a little throttle until it hits the roller and stop. The way your strap is, is correct under the roller. Doing it any other way is for newbs who are scared.:party-smiley-020:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tutorial. I figured that would be the advice that I would get, but wanted to ask just in case I was doing something dumb. :)

Pulling in will be a bit tricky, since this thing idles at 5-6 MPG. I called the dealer today and they told me that it's not possible to turn the idle down. I'll just have to feather the reverse to get it on the skids.

I also read about the possibility of altering the angle of the roller bracket, but I don't think it's adjustable on my trailer.

I'll give it a shot this Saturday and we'll see how it goes.

My other issue now is putting it in the water. I can do that just fine, but for some reason alot of the ramps around here don't have any place to tie off while I park my truck. And the shore is mostly rock so beaching is out of the question. I guess I need to invest in a decent PWC anchor.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey just idle that thing on the trailer and as long as you have your e brake on you can just smack into that roller like its no big deal trust me my dad does it at like 10 to 15 mph if he is pissed off lol, but I dont recomend this lol idle is better...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I found out where the problem lies....

I tried just driving the ski onto the trailer this last weekend and the nose would not go over the rollers on the trailer. The rollers were just a bit too high. I had to lift the nose up while my friend applied a little throttle in order to get the nose onto the rollers.

While in the parking lot, doing all my post-ride maintenance, I realized that the roller bar on the trailer is adjustable. DOH!

I got it back home and lowered the roller, but then it was too low. So, I just set the height where it needed to be and drilled my own holes for the adjustment bolts.

Now the nose is about 1/8-1/4 inch above the roller. So I should now have no trouble driving the ski up onto the trailer and into the proper position. Or, if I'm by myself, I can just pull it onto the trailer skids and winch it up the rest of the way.

Either way, problem solved!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have just purchased a 2010 vx cruiser 110. i went out for the first time the other day with absolutely no prior experience with loading or unloading skis or boats. i had no problems everything went pretty smooth *cheers*. although reading this thread i don tunderstand something. why would you put the rope harness thing under the roller as opposed to over the roller? isnt the roller there for a reason? and by roller i think im thinking of the same thing. the round thing that spins with a V groove down the middle right infront of the winch. sorry for the noob question but hey... we all gatta learn right? thanks all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey mike, thanks for the response. We're all newbs at some point so no worries.

Basically, from what I've been told, running the line under the roller is the correct way.

From what I understand if you were to run the line over the roller, the craft could "ride up" over the roller if you were to come to a sudden stop while in transport.

I think that the roller is there as a basic "bumper" for the keel when loading onto the trailer.

Dunno, just doing what was told to me. :) Cheers!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey Mike, sounds like you got the loading proceedure down pretty good. In regards to the winch strap. It has to go under the roller so that it doesn't ride over it. Otherwise there is nothing holding the front of the ski down so it doesn't bounce when trailering. Technically it is a roller but it doesn't roll much, so it is more like a rubber bump stop. Make sure to always use tie downs on the rear of the ski.

Good Luck:ShowLetter18:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
In regards to the winch strap. It has to go under the roller so that it doesn't ride over it. Otherwise there is nothing holding the front of the ski down so it doesn't bounce when trailering............Make sure to always use tie downs on the rear of the ski.

Good Luck:ShowLetter18:
Good advice. Always run the strap under the roller. I learned my lesson the hard way. Original owner had the strap over the roller, and I didn't know any better. On the way home I made a hard stop and the ski jumped over the roller. Only thing that kept it from coming through the back of my vehicle were the stern tie downs. Fortunately no damage other than a few scratches. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah i see what your saying, i tried it out today actually after reading your post. it makes sense but i realized after the face it might not be necessary if you use tie down straps. im from NY im not sure if legally you need to use tie downs but just incase, i do. which make it impossible for the craft to move forward at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts