Personal Water Craft Forum banner

NEWB With Questions

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sparkplug420 
#1 ·
Hello all.

I am a toyota 4x4 guy, I build the trucks. Along my ways I come across trades and deals. Well Im trading a front axle and A Soilid axle swap kit I fabbed for a 84 550 and 87 550 stand up with trailer.

I want to know if these are decent skis, how hard to work on, what to loot out for when I pick em up, and what performance mods I can do.

Im Fairly good at mechaincs and turning bolts. Im used to things that are large and heavy, but still require precision, so Im hoping that I will be able to grasp a ski quick. I have zero knowledge at all of motorcycle or ski engines. I have rebuilt countless car engines, and swapped motros to dif cars wat not.

Guy says both skis ruyn good, one has been gone through. Anyway to confirm this by eye? How should it sound when he fires it there? What should I change before I ride it? I happen to live 1 mile from a creek that I can legally wheel in and it opens to the sac river and I can unload 2 skis easily and ride to my hearts content. I just like to have my stuff running good and in good shape. If they are good worthwhile skis I will defibnitiely throw aome money and time at them, like everything else. Thanks all

See less See more
#3 ·
when he starts them up listen for any unusual grinding or clunking noises coming from under the area where you stand. also bring a flashlight and shine it in the back of the jet (where the water comes out) and look by the impeller along the housing where it spins for deep gouges and grooves, the look at the impeller itself for a lip along the outside of the blades. those are usually signs of a bearing going out in the drive system and can quickly lead to some expensive repairs if not fixed (learned that one the hard way lol) i own 2 87 kawasaki 650sx's (both stand up) and they take alot of time and practice to learn how to ride but once you master it they are a blast to ride and easy to handle

#4 ·
thanks for the replys. Im picking em up sunday, ill take a look at the parts you told me to look at. I am used to drving trucks, tipping them on their sides, rolling em, and just plain beating the crap out of em on rocks wat not. I got bothing but time this summer, so hopefully I can learn to ride these things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.