Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've ridden PWC's in lakes up north, but not in the Florida gulf...So we bought a new Kawi and took it out for the first time today. Right off the bat, I f'd up. I started it, backed off the trailer and pulled over for the wife to put the truck up and hop on. Well, we got on and started up, got situated, and during the time got sucked up too close to shore and started sucking up sea shells and sand. Heard and felt the nice crunching sound for about 5 seconds before I realized to pull the lanyard because pulling the immobilizer key out did nothing, engine kept running. So first off, should I have anything checked out. I looked underneath and from the back after pulling it out and the impeller and ring around it looked ok, ring had some slight scoring, nothing major, but wondering about the pump.

So after going awhile, I decided to beach it. Gave it some gas, shut down the engine and let it glide partly up the beach (1-2mph). The beach was very shelly, but didn't make noises too bad. In any case, after getting home and cleaning it, the bottom looks terrible now. I don't know how deep the scratches need to be before considered damage, but the marks are very rough when running your hand over them. I've attached a couple pics.

Otherwise, this thing rocks! The 1500cc and large hull of the Ultra LX cuts through the water great!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've ridden PWC's in lakes up north, but not in the Florida gulf...So we bought a new Kawi and took it out for the first time today. Right off the bat, I f'd up. I started it, backed off the trailer and pulled over for the wife to put the truck up and hop on. Well, we got on and started up, got situated, and during the time got sucked up too close to shore and started sucking up sea shells and sand. Heard and felt the nice crunching sound for about 5 seconds before I realized to pull the lanyard because pulling the immobilizer key out did nothing, engine kept running. So first off, should I have anything checked out. I looked underneath and from the back after pulling it out and the impeller and ring around it looked ok, ring had some slight scoring, nothing major, but wondering about the pump.

So after going awhile, I decided to beach it. Gave it some gas, shut down the engine and let it glide partly up the beach (1-2mph). The beach was very shelly, but didn't make noises too bad. In any case, after getting home and cleaning it, the bottom looks terrible now. I don't know how deep the scratches need to be before considered damage, but the marks are very rough when running your hand over them. I've attached a couple pics.

Otherwise, this thing rocks! The 1500cc and large hull of the Ultra LX cuts through the water great!
Looking on the bright side, your first day with a PWC on the Florida Gulf Coast probably went better than mine. See my post. At least we both had a great time.

The water was much warmer than I thought it would be, no wetsuit needed.

Anyway, your hull damage just looks cosmetic to me. Hopefully someone will help us both out. It's a great forum here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OUCH! Ok, you win on first time out damage! Have you heard anything on getting it fixed yet?

I ended up taking mine in for a breather tube issue and asked the mechanic about the hull. He said that's nothing, he's seen much worse. Everything else seems to be running strong, so I should be good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts