Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some input from F12X owners on turning @ low, mid and top speeds. Strenghts and weakness; dry ride, tip over easily, rough water capabilities, maintenance, reliability, reboarding, etc.

I do not currently own a ski and my choices are in this order:

1. Yamaha FX HO

2. Kawasaki F15

3. Honda F12X

I'm more of a cruiser guy than a speed guy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda F12X

Out of the 3 you list, go with the F12X. Honda reliability and from personal experience...very fast! Smooth in the water and will tow just about anything smaller than an ocean tanker:laugh: .

Seriously though, My 05 F12X was bought for well under MSRP from North American Warhorse in Scranton PA (I live in Upstate NY). Bought the ski with trailer and cover for $9400 bucks. Since Hondas aren't that good of a seller (poor advertising and their website sucks!), deals on left-overs are all over the place. Another Forum you could check to get info from is PWCToday.com. Like this forum, very good information and a lot of Honda owners to ask questions from. Usually 5-10 Honda owners on the site at any given time.

As for my F12X...I love it! Fast, Ultra quiet (people actually ask me if its running at idle...can't beat Honda quality), smooth running and a blast to ride. Take the kids tubing and skiing with it and have no idea they're back there. My wife and I load it up with "beverages" and snacks and head out all day exploring new places on the Finger Lakes where we live. Gas mileage is decent (average I guess). The ride is very dry other than the foot wells which is probably my biggest complaint of the ski. When letting off the gas abruptly, the foot wells fill with water from the wake behind, the only way to get the water out is to punch the gas, clear the wells and very gently come to a stop on the water. Reverse works great and Honda's "Throttle-Off Steering" system is ok, but not quite as good as Sea-Doos OPASS system which actually has little rudders that stick out from the sides of the machine. Although better at turning off throttle, I've heard them breaking from time to time. Honda's system "bumps" the throttle to help steer at idle if you turn the handle bars all the way to the left or right.

One other thing I should mention that a lot of people don't talk about is seating position. Honda has probably one of the best egonomically correct seating positions out there. The reach is perfect for everyone. Everyone from myself, the kids, to my wife. A lot of manufacturers (Yamaha) have put tilt steering on their machines because of their awkward seating position and complaints from owners. Do yourself a favor and actually sit on machines that you're considering...something a lot of people don't do when buying a PWC. They just look at it on the dealer floor and say things like..."ummmm shiney...pretty...I'll take it"...without sitting on the machine.

Hope this helps you in your decision. Even if you decide on something other than a Honda, you're going to have a blast!

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turbo Model

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT go with the NON-TURBO model. Not sure why people say ditch the Turbo model, but from personal experience, it's the way you want to go. Absolutely no complaints from this F12X owner.

Seems that people complaining about the Turbo models are the ones that don't own them and wished they had bought one....

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I will second the person above and suggest strongly that you DO get the turbo F12X model!

Turbo is fun! People who suggest you not get the turbo are just ticked off because they did not get the turbo. GET THE TURBO!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go with the Aquatrax with the Turbo

I too am confused why anyone would say ditch the turbo. If you want to go slow then I could see it but what if you change your mind and decide you do like to go fast? You can always turn on the limiter on the computer and only have the ability to go half throttle. I love my Aquatrax. Just sold a Seadoo to buy this one. The Seadoo was always having something go wrong. The Aquatrax starts up first time every time and not one drop of water in the hull! The engine is so quiet you can hardly hear it run at an idle and it is so smooth. I ran all day last week on a tank of gas and I mean a long day. I would put the Yamaha at a close second for reliability but when people see the Honda they actually do a double take because the body lines are so unique. The Seadoo is a nice machine too but a mechanic who works on them all the time told me that they just cannot seem to get the security system bugs worked out. The Dess was a constant problem with mine. This Honda is the bomb! F12X all the way.:appl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts