Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 1998 seadoo xp limited. This is the first PWC that I've owned although I've spent alot of time on them.

First questions is, Is there anything I should look out for with this XP any known problems?

2nd, Oil... What type of oil is optimal?

3rd, What are some good first mods to do?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sea don't!

You are in for some serious fun!!!:appl: Nice pick on watercraft! Not!!!
Listen I don't mean to discourage you but, Bombardier was made specifically to break! I know this because I had stock in the company for years. They built their watercraft so that a dealer could suppliment income through service departments. You are gonna be very busy fixing this boat. All the time. I own Yamaha and will forever. I also am a Watercraft rental company owner. So to answer your question Everything.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I've always heard that bombardier had problems with reliability. I've had a bunch of friends with them, and the biggest problem I've seen is the VTS motor.

Anyway, whats the problems? electrical? Engine?

·
Registered
194 Posts
true

Oh yeah...VTS for sure.

Consider this. If you would like to avoid major problems install a block off plate and get rid of oil injection system.

This is the #1 cause of engine failure. #1 cause!:thumbsup:

Also go to any auto parts store and get a compression gage. $20 This way you can check periodically your compression in you cylinders. Even compression @ 110-125 on both cyls. Good. Remember even on both or there is a problem.:appl:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I were to do that, what would I need to mix it at?

I've got a compression tester. To rebuild it would the engine have to be pulled?

·
Registered
194 Posts
mix

50:1 ratio standard in 2 strokes.
Why would you need to rebuild it unless there is a problem.

Assuming there is a problem question would be what is the problem, like 0psi cyl1 and 110in cyl2 or 30psi cyl1 and 120 cyl 2 two different problems.

You would always start by pulling things and then you will know what to do next.

Watercraft are a game of dominoes.:appl:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts