Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 91 wave runner lx 650. i bought it from a guy for 225.00 bucks without a starter. i ordered a replacement and it came in today. i could be wrong but i think its wrong... or im missing a part from the starter to the flywheel. i have been looking at parts diagrams for the last 3+ hours trying to verify or disprove. i cant seem to find much info on what i think is called the drive gear. i can see it on the yamaha parts website but not sure if what im thinking is correct. i think the gear at the front of the starter fits into the back of the "drive gear" or "idle gear". but im just not sure. this is my first motor-powered item that doesnt have four wheels or seats 7! any help would be amazing... im so stumped right now. my girl is gonna kill me. im a car mechanic by trade and this little jet ski is kicking me in the pants over and over again...
here are the part numbers if it helps any...
idle gear 6M6-8183E-00-00
i hate having my first post be one asking for help and not giving out the help... but like i said... im stumped! thanks for any help in advance.
matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also if the drive gear is what im missing... anybody know where i can find one? i dont trust the ebay folks for a purchase like this. unless you guys know of one thats good.
thanks
matt

·
Registered
2 Posts
the starter is just a motor with a shaft sticking out...it should slide into the flywheel housing...in that housing has a bendix or something sort of gear that inturns rotates the flywheel..i dont know ur model..sometime u have to pull the motor to change that...

·
Registered
21 Posts
if your thinking it should engage flywheel teeth like an auto it doesnt. I replaced mine and was mostly a shade tree auto mech. I thought the same thing. It engages through centrifugal energy. If the bolts line up and you checked the part numbers slap the puppy in and give it a spin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts