Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got an 87 kaw js550. installed new batt fresh plugs ran great. i never rAn it for more than a few mins and i should of hooked water up to it but i didnt.i put it in the river and had a blast riding it for about 10 mins till it shut off and would barley turn over. i took the hood off and dam! wow that thing was hot. now it wont runs turns over fine i have spark and fuel.compression is lowin both cylinders now. im hoping to get away with slapping some rings in it and maybe pistons. where the best and cheapest place to get thos parts?i kow it should be bored im gonna try and get a way with just honeing it. where should i purchase low cost parts from?didnt find much on ebay. also and ideas on why it over heated.im willing to bet it was flowing any water. any help greatly appreciated. also how much can get for the ski in theis condition?its got ultra low hours and is in mint condition or well atleast it was

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow. this forum is so helpful! if any one can point me i nthe right direction as towhy my ski might of over heated it wold be great .thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
These skis dont have any water filtration on them. Any small amout of debris could stop them up. Does your ski have a water bypass on it. That would be a jet on the exterior of the ski that squirts water while the engine is running.On both of my ski's they are on the left side while riding.If not,it would be a good idea to install one so you can monitor water flow. If you have an air compressor you can blow out the lines.Disconnect the water supply line from the inside of the engine compartment going to the engine. Blow air thru that line and check for debris(My 550sx got hot and was leaves stopping the supply line)Then blow out the lines on the engine and check the fiitings for blockage. You might be able to find the cylinders fairly cheap on ebay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the damm 45degree fittings on the head and back of block were both full of sand .they were hard like concrete .everythings clean now just waiting on my rings to show up. thanks 150 wow thats alot

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i put the new rings in and now it runs on 1 cylinder . great compressionis one cylinder and crappy in the other.took it back a part and the jugs cracked now.i need a cheap stock bore jug .any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts