Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new here and looking for some advice. got a lead on a 98 xpl the 951cc motor replaced about 5 years ago and changed to premix. Seems to be winterized properly each year. problem doesn't start. owner had the starter rebuilt and mechanic said it's the bendix. also, looks in good condition overall. Any advice? buy it and fix it or move on? if buy what would be a good price?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hello all, I'm new here and looking for some advice. got a lead on a 98 xpl the 951cc motor replaced about 5 years ago and changed to premix. Seems to be winterized properly each year. problem doesn't start. owner had the starter rebuilt and mechanic said it's the bendix. also, looks in good condition overall. Any advice? buy it and fix it or move on? if buy what would be a good price?
Personally, I'd run, not walk, away from that ski, unless: 1. You are a jet ski mechanic or know one that would be willing to fix it for free, or 2. The guy is giving it away and you want something to play "fix up" with. If the ski was absolutely perfect otherwise, I still would not pay more than $500 for a 12 year old ski that will not start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ernest T, Not a jet ski mechanic however I do have some mechanic skills. The Ski looks to be maintained and winterized appropriately and comes with a good condition trailer. I appreciate your opinion.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks Ernest T, Not a jet ski mechanic however I do have some mechanic skills. The Ski looks to be maintained and winterized appropriately and comes with a good condition trailer. I appreciate your opinion.
At least you could probably get a couple hundred for the trailer if all else fails. I'd look to see what the price of rebuilding or replacing the engine would cost. I remember reading somewhere that the late 90s XPLs had a tendency to blow motors. You should be able to find one is good running condition at that age for $2500-$3500 with a nice trailer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea the late 90"s were known for water ingestion. I'm taking a chance on this one am going to buy it I have a hunch the motor is ok and just the bendix and probably a carb cleaning etc.. wish me luck. I was able to get for a little more than you suggested at 500. You are right at least i have a good 2002 trailer.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
yea the late 90"s were known for water ingestion. I'm taking a chance on this one am going to buy it I have a hunch the motor is ok and just the bendix and probably a carb cleaning etc.. wish me luck. I was able to get for a little more than you suggested at 500. You are right at least i have a good 2002 trailer.
It may turn out to be something real simple, and then you will have made the deal of the year. Let me know how it works out. Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Things are going good. I took of the front cover and replaced the bendix. I also replaced the stator assembly, flywheel and mag cup. it turns over and I have good spark. Sounded good when turning over. I didn't start it yet. I replaced the fuel lines, cleaned the fuel selector valve fixed the engine drain hose I noticed it was plugged. I had the carbs cleaned and rejetted for flame arrestors. Next thing is to clean the RAVE valves, reinstall exhaust, carbs, drain fuel tank and see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started it up last night. She runs and sounds pretty good. Just a couple things to tweak and I will be putting it in the lake this weekend. I guess that will be the true test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts