Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bouth two jet skis. One is a 1996 Sea Doo GSX and the other is a 1994 Yamaha Wave Raider. I only want to keep one and sell the other to my son; which one do I keep. They both have less that 500 hours and are in similar shape. The place I picked them up from repro'd them and the guy is the best friend of my son. He told me that other than replacing the seats and maybe a paint job, they are both great.

I have never owned a jet ski but have always wanted to, so I'm pretty stoked about it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Okie

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I never rode a WaveRaider so I can't comment on that one. Did have a GSX which was a great ski. The 800 Rotax engine in it is a great motor. The hulls are pretty stable. Perhaps ride both and see which one you like more? If it's the 2 cylinder WaveRaider I can say the GSX will be faster it it's the 3 cylinder 1100 version it will be close between the two.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If the Waveraider has the 701 engine, then that was probably the most reliable 2 stroke that Yamaha produced. Parts are easy to find and it is a relatively easy to work on. Ride is OK for an older ski, but by todays standards the ski is unstable, bouncy, and wet. I know nothing about the Seadoo, but 500 hours on a 2 stroke engine is really high, unless it has already been rebuilt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I bought them sight unseen from a friend who owns a marina. They were repossesed and I got them both (with trailors) for what I see people are asking for one. He says they run strong but could use new seats and a paint job. They sat out for a couple years uncovered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts