Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, hello all! I just got my first ski and I'm starting a total rebuild. I paid $75.00 for the ski and trailer. It's a 92 Kawasaki 750 SS, when I picked it up, the hull was half full of rain water and there is some front end damage. The fiberglass is solid otherwise, so I am going to try to repair the damage myself, remove the decals, then sand and paint it. The motor isn't locked up, so I'm planning on rebuilding it myself. I am pretty good mechanically, but this is my first ski, so I'm looking for any tips, pointers, or advice anyone may have! I will post pics of the progress as I go. Thanks for any advice or information anyone can offer. Here are the pics of it, I have the seat as well, just removed before pictures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Empty Hull - Motor is out

I removed the motor and everything else from the hull. Any advice for where to purchase a cheap rebuild kit for the motor? I'm on a limited budget, so I am trying to take the least expensive route. Also, where can I find a manual for the ski, I'm looking for a parts list and maybe a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate decals!

Yesterday I started removing the decals... didn't realize how hard they were to take off! Anyone have any suggestions on an easier way, I have been using a sharp edged scraper, tried a heat gun, but it just made the decals brittle and harder to remove. Also pulled the motor apart, noticed one of the pistons has a piece broken off of it, but the cylinders look good and the head doesn't look damaged. Gonna have the cylinders bored and honed then back together with oversized pistons and rings. I'm wanting to switch to a dual carb setup, but I don't know the downfalls if any... has anyone had bad luck with them? How much of a power increase would I be getting?

·
Registered
209 Posts
'92 ss750 rebuild

There doesn't seem to be many replies to your questions.
I applaud your enthusiasm for the project, and appreciate the pics you are posting. I have a '95 900xzi. I have seen many places on the internet selling parts... craigs list and e-bay and misc. forums. I have been using craig's list mostly for things I need. You can buy owners manuals & service manuals on many of those sites too. I go directly to kawasaki's site for on-line viewing of parts lists & exploded view diagrams. Downloaded the owner's manual there too for no charge ( view on-line... its a pdf... just save/print the file after viewing it in adobe).
Good luck & keep the progress reports coming.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have some great pics there. I think you better get ready to spend some money though lol. These things seem to love money. I have a zxi750 (two seater) and a Yamaha LX 760 (three seater). I am learning from your pics and information, I have learned quite a bit by playing with them, but unfortunately I don't have the answers to your questions. I will say that in my opinion, I would not try to change out big parts unless you have good info on the swap and know that it is well worth the price. I would suggest you fix this one up and if you want more power (and you will in time) then sell it and get a bigger motor. That's all I have for you now but keep posting pics and good luck. Oh and the pads for these things tend to be expensive. I bought a set of mats for the Yamaha, but on the Kawasaki I bought a work out mat form wall mart and cut it to fit then installed it with a silicon adhesive. If you use paint on the ski it chips easily compared to the gel stuff they come with. If you can spray that gel paint it's better. If you decide to get the mats they sell on ebay they suggest you put it on with contact cement, but the contact segment will not work on regular paint, it pulls it up and try to put it on dry either way on contact cement. The adhesive silicon seems to be working well on the workout cut out workout mat. It was 9 bucks so it's hard to beat that. Good luck and if I can help more I will. Oh btw use something very strong for that front like tiger hair and I would build it up on the inside if you can get to it. They tend to crack back in the same spots, they tend to take a beating. BTW you did really good by getting the ski for only $75 the parts on it should be worth well more than that. Oh and can you take a pic of where the shaft goes out of the ski? I think mine may have a leak there and I want to know what it looks like from the inside and out if you have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts