Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello forum! I just got my first two machines. A 2001 Kawasaki 900STS and a 2000 Yamaha 1200 SUV. I obtained both from the original owners. The Kawasaki was given to me for free. It has 17 hours on it, it has been sitting for a number of years. The gas smells terrible.
The Yamaha has 85 hours and is very clean. Bought it from an odd dude who wouldn’t let me test drive it. I figured it wouldn’t run so I only paid $700 for the machine and a nice trailer and a ton of extras including about 20 gallons of Yamaha oil. It turns over fine but won’t fire at all. Compression testing revealed 115 exactly in all three. I thought that was ok. I messaged a guy in CL who offers service and he said I need a rebuilt motor based on the compression. I don’t know that I agree.
I’m fairly handy mechanically but am new to wave runners. Other than checking to see if I have spark is there a short list of what I should go through to trouble shoot this one?
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got the Yamaha going with just a squirt of starting fluid. Runs really well. Goes over 50 and handles great!
Now on to the Kawasaki.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
Depending on how long the SUV has been sitting, and obviously for the 900, I would do a carb rebuild and replace the oil injection lines right away, and quit using starting fluid. Mix up a small bottle of 50:1 premix for priming.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts