Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with adding NOS (nitrous oxide) system to their ski/waverunner?

I have Yamaha 2002 XLT 1200 and interested in modifying with NOS kit. I have been in contact with Holley and they have universal kit for engines over 700cc they claim will work with my waverunner.

Any input / experience with doing this type of modification would be appreciated.

Will

·
Registered
811 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with adding NOS (nitrous oxide) system to their ski/waverunner?

I have Yamaha 2002 XLT 1200 and interested in modifying with NOS kit. I have been in contact with Holley and they have universal kit for engines over 700cc they claim will work with my waverunner.

Any input / experience with doing this type of modification would be appreciated.

Will
Personally I think that a nitrous kit would be a total waste of money and time. I have drag raced snowmobiles for twenty years and never used or saw it used. What could you hope to accomplish? Any time you have an abrubt, temporary horsepower increase it can only be used in drag racing to try to get an edge in the short run. It would be hard to prop for it because of the horsepower differences. That is why they don't use nitrous on performance boats. Once you blow your load (tank) the party is over. Not to mention the engine will probably blowup.

I mean my fastest ski runs out at 75 MPH with just a supercharger kit. Don't get laughed at don't do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Outlaw, thanks for for the response.

OK.... so then what you would recommend to get the best performance (top speed) out of the 2002 Waverunner XLT 1200? Stage 2? Personally, paying the quoted cost of $2500 (includes labor) to get an additional 5mph, or maybe a tad more is somewhat laughable to me. In optimal conditions, I have had my waverunner to 63 speedo ~ (62 mph on Garmin GPS) ~ which for stock 155hp PWC weighing 780lbs (plus 200lbs for my weight) is pretty good top end speed.

I get the whole idea of the stress mechanically created on the internals of the waverunner (prop, etc) by adding nitrous, but yes, my goal is to achieve a short run at top speed while still having the waverunner for regular ole' weekend use.

I believe with the proper engineering and modifications, the engine (and other components) can handle the stress created by the addition of the nitrous. It is just a matter of understanding what will happen by adding nitrous and what components off the motor, etc need to be modified to handle the additional stress. This was the intention of my post. To gain some insight into those modifications needed.

Trust me, I am the type of person who puts thought into things and gains a full understanding of what it is I am attempting to accomplish and I have been putting a lot of thought and research into this project and was looking towards gaining some information from this forum by people who have either installed, had experience with or are currently using nitrous in their PWC.

My nephew has been working with nitrous for some time now with cars and motorcycles/drag bikes and I have their mechanics ready to install the nitrous kit for me, but I don't feel it is just that simple. I believe there are more mods to the engine that need to be done to support the install and that is what I was hoping to gain from members of this forum.

I appreciate your input and will invite others in this forum to reply with comments or suggestions as well.

Will

Personally I think that a nitrous kit would be a total waste of money and time. I have drag raced snowmobiles for twenty years and never used or saw it used. What could you hope to accomplish? Any time you have an abrubt, temporary horsepower increase it can only be used in drag racing to try to get an edge in the short run. It would be hard to prop for it because of the horsepower differences. That is why they don't use nitrous on performance boats. Once you blow your load (tank) the party is over. Not to mention the engine will probably blowup.

I mean my fastest ski runs out at 75 MPH with just a supercharger kit. Don't get laughed at don't do it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok if you are determined to try this, let me give you some food for thought. Nitrous injection on a 2 stroke is risky. The design of a 2 stroke engine is to eliminate two strokes of the cycle to complete the cycle in half the strokes. This equals a higher power band in rpms and a high strung motor. The problem with nitrous is that the engine, unlike in a vehicle with transmissons, stays at redline rpms to long. Without changing the pitch of your prop it will definitly over rev. You can't pitch it for the nitrous power because then you would be over propped when not using nitrous. Then you leave it propped for non-nitrous power. You won't have enough pitch. Do you see what I mean? You can't have it right for both scenarios.

I think pipes, cold air intake, V-Force reeds, pump wedge, intake grate, and thru hull exhaust would give you more continous power.

I have seen nitrous kits fail over and over. I would use it on my Z06 Corvette but it not worth blowing up my engine.

Good luck with that...........Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
No2

Keep in mind you are sitting on top of the engine. If it does fail badly and it will what happens to the rider.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Will
I have not used nitrous oxide on my ski. Plenty of people are using it on two strokes at the dunes with great success. And I have personally used a ton of it on most of my personal vehicles with no issues. The important thing to know is that nitrous doesn’t blow up engines. People who aren’t thorough blow up engines. The important part of the equation is the fuel system, you must maintain the proper fuel pressure to the fuel side of your nitrous system, this is the insurance policy for not leaning out and destroying the engine. Also the power level of the nitrous system is adjustable to the appropriate level of power enhancement you need for what you are trying to accomplish. I would suggest contacting Nitrous Outlet or Nitrous Oxide Systems Or Nitrous Express or all of them and talk to a tech that can help you with your goals. It is achievable and safe when done correctly and thoroughly. Do not use nitrous below 3,000 rpm it creates too much cylinder pressure and will certainly cause damage, a full throttle activation switch is best and will also deactivate when you release the throttle. Be thorough and Enjoy the ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts