Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1989 650 SX I am getting no throttle response at all. Engine idles fine when I give it gas nothing happens Throttle plate opens and no difference in rpm close the choke nothing happens just idles . IS there something on the engine that wont allow it to throttle up until its in the water. I just purchased the jet ski so I dont have any history on it ,It is completely stock . They said they parked it in the garage 3 years ago ran fine when parked . I went thru carburetor and it was fine not gummed up. what is so weird is I can see throttle plate open and nothing happens. Thanks in advance Mark

Also I did the crankcase pressure test for 20 minutes no leak down

·
Registered
39 Posts
So far as I know, there is nothing about the engine that relates to being in the water other than the cooling water to cool the engine. Nothing that connects the carb to the cooling water. There may be a rev limiter that is ignition related for overheat conditions. There is a sensor on the top of the head going to the ignition module. You should be able to run the engine for a couple of minutes out of water. There is also a hose connection so you can run the engine using a garden hose for cooling and flushing. Good luck. I am sure you will get to the bottom of this.

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
Sounds like a plugged jet, but pickup in tank may be corroded from sitting also, but I'm leaning on carb. Did you put in new gaskets or reuse the old ones ? Really sounds like there is junk way down in it. Just because you cant see it doesn't mean it's not there. Take it completely apart and using the tube spray carb cleaner through all the jets and orifices and transfer slots. Also put a new needle in and make sure the seat is clean.
Also check and make sure your mixture screws are set correctly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts