Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the group and having a problem with my 2000 Yamaha XL1200 Limited with 90 hrs on the waverunner. A few weeks ago, when hitting throttle at idle, it just seemed to be stuck in neutral. There was nothing plugging the intake and after babying it on the throttle it finally came around and ran fine for an hour. The next weekend it ran great also until about an hour into it. Then it would sputter when hitting the throttle and never got above 20 mph seeming to be miss firing. Out of the water, it starts up, revs up, with no noticable issues.

The three carbs were rebuilt by a shot last summer, probably just 10 hrs on the rebuild. I had no spark on it a few weeks ago and determined it was the CDI unit from research and swapping with my other 2003 XLT1200. The hard part for a weekend mechanic is trouble shooting. I checked the compression on each cylinder which measured 110 psi each. I am thinking it might be the impeller or wear ring after the cavitation issue I had a few weekends ago. Removed the intake grate and ride plate to get a closer look. I know the clearance between the impeller and wear ring is supposed to be .010-.014" with a max of .024". I was going to measure the gap with a feeler gauge but it doesn't look to large. There is some rub marks on the wear ring and some pitting on the impeller.

Any help on direction to get the thing back on the water would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts