Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I live in the Atlanta burbs and only surf ride about once a year....I want more! I want to buy a house near the ocean while the market is low but wanted some input in PWC friendly places where there are good waves and possibly the ability to pull up on the shore if I wanted (local laws often suck). Also, the possibility of looking at a channel in the back so I can go from my home to the ocean in minutes rather than launching from a public ramp. I'm open to suggestions and here is what I've researched.

1) Murrell's Inlet, SC - backyard dock quick to ocean is + but high price is a -
2) North Myrtle Beach - backyard dock quick to ocean is + but is close to 6 hrs from me
3) Tybee Island - haven't gone there yet but looks cost effective but no backyard docks
4) Hilton Head - no backyard docks unless you are a millionaire but a huge foreclosure market

Let me hear from you guys and your thoughts! thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
crickett crickett crickett

ok so I either posted in the wrong forum.....no one from the southeast is here......or something els?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Got a friend that has a house in Myrtle Beach on one of the inlets, but can't remember which one. He stays in the river/inlet when riding, but you could access the ocean if you wanted to. Don't see many skis in the ocean off the beaches except the rentals that are set up on the beaches. I know you can't launch from the public beaches in this area, because private vehicles are not allowed on the beach. I'm also pretty sure that you would get chased off the beach by a lifeguard on any of the public beaches in this area (which is practically the entire coast line down to Merrles inlet. I've seen them wave off skis that got anywhere near to shore (swimmers). There are stretches of beach with private homes. If you owned an ocean front property, you could probably launch a ski from a dolly (you see small sail boats pulled up on shore in front of private homes). Personally, I would not consider a house in the Myrtle Beach area because of the Gadzillion tourists there every summer, unless you love crowds. Traffic is a nightmare. Ocean front prices are really high even in today's market, but fall quickly the further back you go. Murrells Inlet and the Little River area to the north is less crowded, and probably cheaper. I've heard really good things about PWC riding around Murrells Inlet......lots of inland places to ride and access to the ocean. My parents used to have a place at Little River, and I suspect is would be good also (but further away). I've rented a ski on the ocean at Myrtle, but never had my waverunner in salt.

Hilton Head area is $$$. Don't know anything about riding conditions there or at the other location you mentioned.

Might want to contact this group: http://www.palmettowatercraft.com/index2.swf I'd bet they could give you lots more info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Ernest. I hear you on the tourists....NMB doesn't seem as bad but getting there in Bike week isn't fun. Murrells looked really like what I was shooting for but the prices there seemed to start at 7 figures so the idea of it being cheaper like we both thought is very wrong. Launching off the beach isn't a big deal but being able to rest there wouldn't be bad. I launched in NMB last summer and went right to the ocean and it was a blast, 1 or 2 other skis there.

Hilton Head isn't as high as you would think, 1/2 the price of Murrells. I looked at Pawley's Island and such but man just no info on PWC but I will ask people in the club. I can't wait until we hit Tybee in a month or so to check that out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts