Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bit the bullet Sunday & bought first ski. Psyched to join the club!! Live in a beach community in CT on Long Island Sound & plan to moor it w/ anchor/bouy abt 50-75 ft from shore. Generally calm waters w/ modest currents. What I don't know, & the slackers @ a local West Marine weren't able to help me with, is what do I need for an mooring (mushroom ... weight, chain, line, etc.??). On average about 6-8 ft deep @ high tide, w/ about a 4 ft high/low swing. If anyone has the magic method & formula, would appreciate some guidance. Have searched all sorts of Internet keyword combos & haven't been succesful in getting good advice ... yet ... so coming to the source(s). Thanks! Ski is 825 lbs.

:confused:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Depends on how much current you will have to fight. I've tried mushroom anchors and a bag anchor (that you fill with rocks or sand), and neither worked well with any current. My brother tried this type of grapple anchor: Amazon.com: Kwik Tek A-2 Complete Grapnel Anchor System: Sports & Outdoors and it too did not work in current. He actually broke off several of the tines on the grapple.

I'm now using a screw anchor: Amazon.com: Kwik Tek A-3 Screw Anchor System: Sports & Outdoors which works well in shallow water areas in lake and river bottoms where you can plant it. In you situation it would be no good, and I'm not sure how well it would work in sand.

For your situation, I would recommend a standard danforth type of small boat anchor: Amazon.com: Seachoice® Utility Anchor: Sports & Outdoors Maybe a 7 or 10 pound one. It has to be set properly to work, but should hold well if you set it properly.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Since your going to be mooring your ski in tidal waters I would recommend using at least 6 to 8 feet of heavy chain to the anchor as this will help sink it and keep it at an optimum angle for grip. I would use a big galvinized danforth. Remember this is your baby your swinging on the hook. With the chain that should hold it in place in normal weather make sure your float is of the reflective type for night traffic. I boat in the Chesapeake bay so I am familar with tidal situations. I have a 29 ' Outlaw that weighs 7000 lbs and the chain and danforth combo work great with that. :)

Good Luck :00000048:

See Ya :reiter:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts