Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone recommends a good one that actually works? I bought the spider wrench and still can’t get a good grip to remove the oil filter. Filter is in a tight spot as well so that doesn’t help. Youtube has some liking the Channellock BUT looking for someone who actually used it on their STX160 and says it works! TIA

Also, what is the K&N direct replacement oil filter for the STX160, is 204-1 correct? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
SXR-1500 here and stories about getting that factory installed oil filter off at first oil change had me pretty amped up when it came time at end of season # 1.

whoo boy, it did turn out to be a fight … (PopEye-size forearms - and arthritis - do NOT help!)

I had bought a spider type wrench myself ... nahhhhh, nope

i tried the circle of sheet metal thpe wrench that wraps and tightens around the filter as you push (or pull) the handle counter clockwise … nope (the ONLY way I’ve ever gotten those type of “wrenches“ to work was to fasten low grit # sandpaper inside the sheet metal circle. THEN you get some traction!)

what finally worked was the right size “channel lock type” wrench WITH ONE IMPORTANT MOD: I used a strip of old rubber inner tube between the steel of the “channel lock type” and the smooth exterior of the filter.

Also, using the wrench on the outside of the filter body gets you more torque than up against the engine block.

LOL, the only filters I use now are the K&N a oil filters with the 6-point nut actually welded onto the end of the filter. Haha, we stocked up on THOSE!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Reply 440Mag, I will pick up a Chanellock. Which K&N Oil filter is it? 204-1? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
***my machine is a Kawa 2019 SXR-1500 and, yes, it uses the KN-204-1 oil filter (pretty sure mine is same engine as yours but, double check.

2 notes:

1) I had a channel lock type wrench but, it simply was too large for that tiny filter so, I had to go out and buy a much, much smaller one (iirc I went to a store where they had a 204-1 oil filter and the wrenches on the same aisle so, I made 100% sure the wrench would close tight enough); and,

2) I’ve been told to only use a SIX - 6 - point socket or open end wrench (or better yet a ratcheting closed wrench, if they even make a 6-point version, that is?) on the nuts on those K&N oil filters. The thick coat of paint all over the nut can prevent a tool from getting a good, solid, “bite” on the nut. (A) I don’t believe there is enough room to get a socket on the end; and, B) good to have a channel lock type wrench (and a length of inner tube rubber or low grit # sand paper on hand, just in case!)

ETA: I also just noticed the “similar threads” below and see where member “Just-In-Time” advises, “a strap wrench works best:”

i “think” I tried one of ^those^ strap types also (can’t remember for sure) but, between the tight space in between the engine block and the inside of the hull vs size of my hands and forearms, well, it was just too tight for me to get enough room to rotate the handle enough.

i remember thinking all the stories about what a bear it is getting that first, factory oil filter off weren’t kidding …

Of course, I made (always make) sure I put the replacement on only as tight as I can physically get it with a clean, nitrile-gloved hand! And I simply check it from time to time …
Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Rim Hat
Sleeve Font Aluminium foil Plastic bag T-shirt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts