Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I get different reports on how to check the oil. I have two vx's , one of which I just changed the stator and housing and that looks like it fixed the charging problem. Should I put any loc-tite or similar product on those bolts from the stator housing? They had some white stuff on them when I took them out. They are both out of the water now and I think both are going to run fine, how should I check the oil cold/hot or running with hose? thanks again B

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi I get different reports on how to check the oil. I have two vx's , one of which I just changed the stator and housing and that looks like it fixed the charging problem. Should I put any loc-tite or similar product on those bolts from the stator housing? They had some white stuff on them when I took them out. They are both out of the water now and I think both are going to run fine, how should I check the oil cold/hot or running with hose? thanks again B
If its white stuff on the threads, that is probably Loctite 572, which is used in many places on the VX and FX skis. In the states Loctite 572 is hard to find, but you can substitute Permatex 592, which is the same stuff and can be found at most auto parts stores. Be sure to clean the old stuff off the bolts before you apply fresh locker.

The VX and pre-2009 FX skis use a dry sump oil system. To get an accurate oil level reading YOU HAVE TO CHECK THE LEVEL WHEN THE ENGINE IS HOT. Best time to check it is right after you have been riding it on the water. Get to a shallow spot, stop the ski, get off and immediately check the oil level. The water will keep the ski perfectly level. If you do it on the hose you need to run it for at least 10-12 minutes to get the engine hot enough and be sure it is as level as you can get it. Check immediately after you stop the engine, since the oil level drops over time. If you check it cold you may not even see any oil on the dip stick, and that is normal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quality info. Should I take some oil out if it is well on the stick when it cold, maybe to just the add line, I think they are over filled. Thanks Again

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks for the quality info. Should I take some oil out if it is well on the stick when it cold, maybe to just the add line, I think they are over filled. Thanks Again
On my FX HO I can't see oil on the stick when its cold, and I keep it around the 1/2 way point between the marks when it is hot enough get an accurate reading.

When its cold, I would take it down to the bottom mark on the dip stick, and use that for a starting point. So I think you are OK where you are to get started. You may need to remove more once you warm it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts