Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
The red one is a 1985 JS hull, it has had some glass work, and remains to be determined if it was originally a 440 or 550. It has a a BN44mm carb, which was not OEM on a 1985 year motor. Although the flywheel cover states 530cc, look at the block behind the carb to verify the cc size. It is a piston port motor. It has a high compression head (looks similar to a Mariner) aftermarket impeller, pipe, ex. manifold, waterbox, and ride plate. The motor looks to be quite grimey.

Nice find on the 1990 SX550. Is it a piston port of reed motor?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The red one is a 1985 JS hull, it has had some glass work, and remains to be determined if it was originally a 440 or 550. It has a a BN44mm carb, which was not OEM on a 1985 year motor. Although the flywheel cover states 530cc, look at the block behind the carb to verify the cc size. It is a piston port motor. It has a high compression head (looks similar to a Mariner) aftermarket impeller, pipe, ex. manifold, waterbox, and ride plate. The motor looks to be quite grimey.

Nice find on the 1990 SX550. Is it a piston port of reed motor?
thanks man no reed motor on the sx the waterbox on the sx was cracked , so swapped all the pipe stuff off the 85,, only to find out that the motor had low compression in the front cylinder . Tore the whole thing down to bare bones and getting a bore and new pistons,, would it be better to switch it over to a reed motor? the bottom end was full of brown crud..but cleaned up great,,I think it was crap from someone trying to start it. shes all apart in in my heated basement.
the 85 was stripped dwon for parts..the top end would not fit. the wiescos were too big for the bottom end must have been on it last bore and had the cases releaved. that bottom end is also filled with crap.. is this Common???

probley use the head, coffmans exh header,water can and pipe,along with the ride plate.

would it be better to rebuild that 44 and put it on the SX.. any idea what size is on the sx stock? I wanna wake this thing up but not get crazy with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts