Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little advice on rebuilding my own crankshaft from anyone who may have done it. Specifically crankshaft bearing replacement.

Twin XLT 1200's with suspect crankshaft bearings. Difficulty level, cost effectiveness as opposed to buying a rebuilt and special tools which a well stocked garage may not have on hand.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've not done one. But from what I know it wouldn't be cost effective. You'll need a strong press, and 2 special jigs. 1 for disassembly, 1 for reassembly. You'll also need a welder to weld it once assembled. Then it's got to be true straight when all finished. If not it's a useless paperweight.

I have all but the jigs and to me it just wouldn't be cost effective to do.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Agreed. Try to find a reman crank, maybe a used one, and roll with that. Are both cranks bad? What year are your XLT's? Welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
About the only thing a shop will have is a 20ton press and a dial indicator. You will spend hundreds on v blocks, fixtures to get it true and the webbing's aligned correctly. Then your looking at the actual rebuild kits them selves. Unless your going to be doing it as a business, or on a very regular basis, the investment is not worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently had Competitive Crankshafts rebuild my GP1200 crank 208-297-3344
Its not an everyday D.I.Y. project to do it correctly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies.

Mind boggling the prices of PWC parts.
My other hobby is a 600hp Buick Grand National. I put a forged 4340 crankshaft in her awhile back. I believe I paid $600. I know that didn't include connecting rods but to think a Yamaha OEM equivalent is close to $1K …. Crazy.

Guess you gotta pay to play

·
Super Moderator
5,033 Posts
Love the grand nationals !!! Worse thing gm did was quit making them, but guess they didnt want competition to the vette.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the grand nationals !!! Worse thing gm did was quit making them, but guess they didnt want competition to the vette.

There is a cool Youtube video with one of the Buick engineers in which he describes the agenda and parameters in which they had to work.

Basically, it had to be a V6 and it had to out run the Corvette.

I don't think Buick could do the Grand National name justice in todays world. Even my car's 600hp is relatively ordinary by today's standards

Great time to be a performance car enthusiast if you've got the money to buy in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts