Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please advise....

I may be suspecting the worst!

I am trying to determine if the starter is gone bad?

recap:
At first the motor barely would turn over, and then ceased too turnover,
it did make a irregular sound on the last attempt, but the unit was running perfectly prior to this, with about 1 week rest... oil levels were never an issue while i had it.... always running great!

reason why the battery at first, was because i noticed the display reading 12.2v "Lo" after a few attempts.... so i did the obviously thing?...

my concern is did i fry the starter by trying to turnover the motor with a low battery???

so i replaced battery, and the engine still won't turn over with new the battery,... display read 12.6v now and "Lo" doesn't appear anymore?

how do i determine if the starter functional

all the while praying my motor hasn't ceased up?
any info would be helpful before i walk into the repair shop with my wallet open and .... it gets ugly!...OMG... HELP!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try remoning the spark plugs to releive the compression and see if it turns over.

I had a scare last week - I had the hose/flush tube connected to the ski for quite a few minutes before starting it while it was parked at my house and the ski was at a slightly forward tilt. Unknowingly I filled the engine with water and when i tried to start it "seized" up. I pulled the plugs and it shot water out of the cylinders. I let it drain really well and knock on wood i think its ok (been runnning as good as it was anyway).

Pull the plugs and see if you can at least get it to turn over.

RM

·
Registered
11 Posts
grab a pair of vice grips or a big pair of pliers and grab your drive shaft and try and turn it in both directions. If you cant get it to turn either way then your engine is seized. If it does turn then try connecting the two ends of the starter solenoid (make sure you do this with pliers with a RUBBER grip). If your engine turns over then your starter is fine and it could just be the start relay. If it doesn't turn over then its your starter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts