Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote on here a week or so ago about my yamaha gp1300r maybe having water in the gas, well it wasnt that. The plugs were a little burnt and gas filed. I put new plugs in it and put some gas treatment in it, fillled it up with fuel and gas and took it out this past saturday. Started right up and took off, i got it up to about 55 when it sounded like the engine dropped out the bottom! I went back to the dock going 20 (top speed) i took the plugs wires off to see which ones were firing, the one closest to the back of the ski wasnt doing anything so i put it back on the truck took it home and did a compression check, well when i took the plug out the spark plug prong was hammered down the the spark plug itself. There was 0 compression and something had to fly loose in there to hammer that plug like it did.
What price range are we talking to get a new piston put in?

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Honestly, you best bet is to tear into the motor and just rebuild anything that looks bad. If you have to redo the one piston, do all of them because you are already there and there is no telling how long the other ones will last for especially if something let loose and caused your one to get damaged.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
To have someone rebuild it will be very expensive because most shops charge around $75.00 an hour and it is my guess they would probably want anywhere from 10 to 16 hours for a rebuild plus the cost of parts. If you do not know how to work on the motor yourself and do not have the money to spend, then maybe look at joining a local jet ski club and see if they offer a garage night where everyone comes over to someones house and fixes what is broke on each others' ski's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts