Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a couple skis for sale locally but something just isnt adding up with them... I found a site I use to run vins on my 4 wheelers and I was wondering how this works on ski's?

(this is in Washington state btw) I know there is the license number on the hull along with yearly tabs... question is though... If I ski is stolen, whats stopping someone from just swapping hulls? Is there a vin number on the motor or any other part? 4 wheelers are notorious for this... as the vin number is ONLY on the frame and can be swapped waaaayyy to easy. Thats why mine are locked up and insured...

Is there some sort of vin plate on skis? like trailers?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sea Doos have a VIN plate on the motor. Both of mine (07 GTX and 08 RXP-X) are located on the front of the engine block. The engine VIN is now mandatory, in Alabama, to register a ski. Which isn't a problem if you buy a new one, but they're a pain in the @$$ to see for yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have only ever seen HINs. Engine serial numbers are useless. To answer your theoretical question as to what would stop a thief from jacking your boat and "just" swapping hulls is, it would be a major operation. Just pulling an engine is a laborious task in itself. They would be better off just chopping the thing for parts. Further more, the HIN is usually located at multiple points in the hull, usually fore and aft. I have seen them under the battery box on some Kawis and on the front of the hull and sometimes on the tunnel. It will vary with manufacturer, but as far as theft goes, it's not really economically feasible for a thief to steal a boat, then swap the internals into a hull with clean numbers and try to resell it. Cost of clean hull + time to disassemble/reassemble + look for someone to sell it to at a used price = Not worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts