Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to get my Skis in the water for the first time this past weekend. Something about my fractured back kept me from enjoying my summer :eek:

Both skis were super sluggish, I couldn't get either to rev over 3900 RPM and there was certainly no forced induction going on!! I have read about Wastegate issues - is this what I was experiencing?

After about 1/2 hour of puttering around the lake my ski pulled a hole shot :D All the problems went away and my performance stayed that way for the rest of the afternoon. The other ski did not and we eventually put it back on the trailer.

If the problem is a sticking Wastegate, how do you un-stick it? What exactly is happening? Is the Wastegate sticking open so that boost does not build or what? How difficult are they to remove? I see from searching that H20xtremeworldwide.com has them for sale. Is that my only resolution?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thought.... Is running SeaFoam in a tank of gas recommended and does that help with a sticking Wastegate? I'm thinking since a turbo runs on exhaust pressure it might not do very much. If you run SeaFoam, how much do you use, I'd hate to run smoke out for an entire tank of gas :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Start with the basics since it has been sitting:

1. New gas with a can of seafoam in it
2. New spark plugs
3. Change the oil and check the air filter.
4. Water test it again

If the ski is still sluggish and a real GPS shows it is under 55-58 at WOT you may have a problem with the WGS. Try the nitro method to test it ( Nitro's waste gate solenoid super quick check procedure )

Or the WGA may be stuck. I use a mityvac to test the WGA to ensure it moves at 8.7psi. ( Honda AquaTrax F12X will not run over 48 mph - Page 2 )

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also the turbo compressor wheel could be stuck. Pull off the air intake side of the turbo ( rubber hose) and see if you can spin the compressor wheel carefully when the engine is off. If you can't spin it freely use a deep 9mm socket to free it up. Test away...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with a 2005 12x. Initially started as water in the oil. I determined the driveshaft seal was leaking water into the ski. I figured the water in the engine was a result of the bad seal. Changed the seal assembly then determined the turbo was bad. Sent turbo out for overhaul. Tested ski with the overhauled turbo. Ski would only turn 3500 to 4000 rpms. Removed turbo due to no boost. Sent it back to the overhaul company. They replaced the cartridge once again. Tested once again with the same result. Replaced the waste gate sensor tested once again. Same result. Drained and replaced fuel and spark plugs. After testing again removed spark plugs. All four have color on the lower threads. One and three have color on the porcelain. Two and four are white in color. Have not tested compression yet because of plug size is not in my compression test kit. I started ski on the trailer and disconnected each coil one by one. All four cylinders seem to be firing. Out of the water ski will rev to 7500 rpms or so and hit the rev limiter. The ski is not showing any error codes. This seems to be a common problem for the Hondas although I have not heard of anyone resolving the problem. Any and all insight, recommendations, or solutions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Fred
Allstar Marine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts