Personal Water Craft Forum banner

please help loud rattle either from back or under jet ski 97 montego

28K views 103 replies 6 participants last post by  Glenn 
#1 ·
i have a 97 montego i am very new to jet skis this is the first time i started this guy up and it has a loud rattle sounds like metal on metal grinding rattling its coming from either all the way in back or underneith please help any ideas pleaseee

#6 ·
no just remove the 4 bolts on the back of the ski and the rubber water hose and everything will come out then i dont know if you have the update shaft that it screws to the motor or it just slids in to the motor but no matter what the shaft has to come out so you wont damage the bearing

#13 ·
you better hope its not your wear ring cuz its a $300 plus part. you must remove the prop with the housing so you can spine the prop by hand woth the prop next to your ear and listen if thats the sound you hear. lets not worrie about the wear ring right now so do that fist then i will tell you how to aline the motor

#14 ·
if im doin it right i dont hear any noise when i spin it by hand the only things i notice so far is the long rod thats conects to the impeller has play in it up and down not sure if thats normal the floating bearing seems to have a hairline crack starting the impeller has snall nicks in it

#15 ·
if you can remove the driveshaft and remove the floting bearing and turn the bearings with your fingers if its ok then see if your shaft is not bent and look at your motor coupler see if it does not have play

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.