Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CDI Resistance Tested Bad

Hi everyone. I've been reading and reading and researching on why my ski won't fire and what to test. Your site has been very helpful so far but now I am not positive it's the CDI and was hoping you guys could help me.

It is a 1994 Yamaha Wave Raider 700 (RA700S). It has been sitting for 3 years. It was very well maintained until a family member passed away and then it sat until last week.

We started by looking over all the lines and making sure nothing was broken or cracked. The outside looks like crap but under the hood looks really good for the age. We hooked up a new battery and hit the start button and it turns over nice and quick but didn't fire.

Compression was good. Plugs replaced. Checked fuse. Still won't fire. Cracked open the electrical box and everything was pretty corroded but nothing that we couldn't clean. We cleaned all connections and tested the continuity on each connection and they are all good.

Not positive how to test the stator but I tested volts at cranking and it puts out max of 1.9V just at cranking speed. I checked voltage to the CDI and it was getting full 12V power but it is not putting more than 0.04V to the coil. I tested the coil also and it checked out fine.

Now for the question. Can someone provide specific wire colors and resistance specs for the CDI and stator on this ski so I can test that way? I don't know anyone with a ski to use a "known good" unit and don't want to drop $100-200 on a CDI and that not be the problem.

Please let me know if I need to provide more info and I will get it. Thank you for your time and I look forward to being part of the PWC community.

**Update**
I went to the library and checked out the Clymer manual and tested every electrical component. All tested within spec except for the CDI. Everything that should have infinite resistance is in the 100K to 150K ohms range.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts