Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a '98 1200 and I am having a terrible time trying to get it to start. I was told to pull the spark plug or plugs and check them. I downloaded the owner's manual but it is all but worthless- can't tell a thing from the diagram. My question is, how the heck do you get the spark plugs out? And are there actually three? I apparently don't have the right type of wrench, but needed to know what kind to buy. I am (obviously) a complete novice at this. Thanks for any and all help!

Rachel

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
There should be 3 fairly large black wires running to the top of the engine. They will end in rubber caps that fit over each of the spark plugs. Pull the caps straight up to reveal the spark plugs. Any standard spark plug socket will work. You can get one at any hardware, auto parts, etc. store. Look for one that is thin walled that will fit down into wells the spark plugs are in. If the plugs have not been out in a while, you may need to spray them with some WD 40 and let them sit for a while, and then try to remove them.

You can try cleaning the old plugs with a wire brush, but I'd recommend just replacing them (they are not very expensive). Tighten the plugs 1/4 to 1/2 turn past hand tight if you do not have a torque wrench (18 ft./lbs. if you have a torque wrench). You may also want to pick up a spark plug gaping tool to check the gap (should be 0.6-0.7mm on your ski I think.........check the manual for sure). Check the gap on the new plugs (it is sometimes off right out of the box). The gap is important, and will get wider as you run the engine, so it needs to be periodically checked and adjusted.

While you are in there you need to replace the fuel filter if it has not been replaced in a while.........it gets clogged and gummed up easily.

After you do the plugs and fuel filter, if it still will not start, you may need to clean and rebuild the carb. (has to be done every few years on these skis to keep them running).

Good Luck!:action-smiley-083:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts