Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1996 polaris slt 700 two days ago. When i went out to test drive it he told me he got some bad gas for it so it wasnt running as good as it should. when i push the throtle down all the way it usually just dies. but when i constantly tap the throtle it will fly, so i know its capable. i took it out yesterday and it slowly got better as the day went on but then right toward the end wouldnt even go fast if i tapped it. Any suggestions would be great. im also planning on combining the gas tank and oil and using a pre mix instead of the auto one which worries me. also he said to use premium gas in the pwc is that fine?
Thanks and take care,
Ryan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also forgot to mention i got it for 1000 with the trailer and title so i do believe it was worth i just hope its not something to serious.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You need to go through your carbs, they are probably in need of new diaphrams and a good cleaning! he could have gotten bad gas also but I would also do the carbs on a ski taht age, if you wanna spend the money on 93 octane thats fine to, just make sure you run good fuel and a racing type oil mixed properly! Klotz is my reccomendation! Good luck! Polaris you go dude!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Craig on cleaning/rebuilding the carbs - BUT :) you could try running some Seafoam with your gas IF you are reluctant to tackle the carbs, that stuff will help clean the carbs quite well! I would also LEAVE the oil injection system on and not go with premix - those pumps are quite reliable and very seldom fail (IMO).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i will try the sea foam and if that doesnt work i will go on and tackle the carb. with the sea foam does it need to be in the water running to use it? i watched the video on it but it diddnt explain water vehicles.
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Ryan: Yes, you add the Seafoam to your gas in the gastank and then you need to run the engine to pull it through your carbs. It won't "solve" the problem immediately either. It will take a lttle running to see some improvement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it still the 1/3 of bottle in gas tank like the video showed? and only the gas tank or do i put it in the engine and oil tank as well?
Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Follow the dirtections on the can/bottle as far as how much to use (depends on the size of your gas tank), and it ONLY goes in the gas tank. Once you get the carbs cleaned out, once a year s/b sufficient.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just started having the same basic trouble with my '97 Polaris SLT H, it's hard to crank and when it does, you've got to squeeze the trigger quickly and repetitively to get it up to hi rpm, then it will go 47mph with my fat ass on it. When you slow down it will cut off, then you have to choke it to get it to fire, then unchoke it to start it again.

I'll try the Seafoam, where can you get that? Walmart? Autoparts store? Any other possibilities? Does this model have separate low & high rpm carb jets, and maybe the low jet got clogged? Any hope to change that out myself if I have basic mechanic skills, if the seafoam doesn't work? Can you even get these parts any more for an old Polaris?

If it dies, what's the best new jetski to get? Need it to pull up a 225lb fat guy on a wakeboard.

thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Bugman: Have you tried a new set of plugs in yours? Are you using the right starting technique - put on the choke and squeeze the throttle part way open (when it's cold)? When it's warmed up - no choke, just open the throttle as you crank it. But - you also probably have some clogged up jets in your carbs. Seafoam is handled by a number of different outlets - call your autoparts store and see if they carry it. I have a pair of '97 SLT780's (3 passenger "boats")- they will both do better than 50 mph.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks tv4fish. I looked at one of the plugs, it's a nice tan color. But sure can't hurt to change them out, and will. I've tried all different combinations of starting procedure. Still have the trouble even when it's warmed up, and after riding it at high rpm I try to start it with no choke, I get no fire at all. Then open up the choke all the way, crank, and it fires for a couple of seconds. Then turn the choke all the way off, and crank it while squeezing the throttle in and out quickly until it reaches high rpm. This happens every time.

Are these carb jets easy to take off and clean myself? I'm fairly mechanical but wouldn't want to tackle this unless it's an absolute last resort. I'm up in the boonies in the NC mountains on vacation, so am on my own, not many mechanics around. My Polaris is a great boat when it's running.

Thanks a million for your quick reply!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bugman - I assume your ski has a 2-stroke engine like mine? 2-strokes can "flood" pretty easily. If you flood a 2-stroke, the best way to clear it and get it to start is to open and HOLD the throttle wide open as you hit the starter. Obviously, when she fires, release the throttle and let it drop down in rpm. It does sound like your carbs need a good cleaning and if you are a little "mechanical", you s/b able to handle the job. You may also want to try running the Seafoam thru your ski first to see if it helps. Enjoy your vacation "up there".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fixed!

A local jet ski mechanic convinced me over the phone that it was probably a clogged low speed jet, and that I could probably fix it myself. The (dual) carbs turned out to be very simple to remove, there are choke and throttle cables to remove (no tools), and 4 hoses to remove (screwdriver and needlenose pliers). And then just 4 bolts holding the carbs (though it's two carbs, they're only one unit to remove) down to the intake manifold.

I took the carb to a clean table, took off the diaphram covers, removed the jets, but they were perfectly clean and open. In fact the entire carb was pristine, as I'd just had it rebuilt last year.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the idle adjustment screw was completely missing from one of the carbs. I found it on the bottom of the jet ski inside, and replaced it.

Then, it didn't run at all! Turns out there are two hoses coming from the tank to each carb and I had switched them. I figured they were both supplying fuel to each carb so I didn't pay attention to which was which.

I took pictures each step of the way with my phone just in case I forgot how it went back together.

The kids are out tubing on the jetski now, it's running great.

BTW, this mechanic -- who really seemed to know what he was talking about -- recommended AGAINST carb cleaner to try to unclog the jets. He thinks it does more harm than good. FWIW.

Thanks for the comments, this is a great forum.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BTW, this mechanic -- who really seemed to know what he was talking about -- recommended AGAINST carb cleaner to try to unclog the jets. He thinks it does more harm than good. FWIW
Bugman (and anybody else):) I will strongly disagree with that mechanic - Now - a word of caution on using Berrymans or any other strong carb cleaner - YES, if you have any rubber parts in your carbs, DON'T put them in carb cleaner as it will dissolve them, but for brass jets, I use it all the time and it does NOT do any harm and it WILL clean out the crude. I have been a small engine mechanic for over 20 years and have NEVER seen it do any "harm" to ANY carb. I would be very curious to see what harm he thinks it does ????? You can tell him he is "all wet" on that one. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
23 Posts
He wasn't talking about cleaning the jets directly, as in soaking, but using it as a gasoline additive to try to unclog the jets. Could that affect the rubber in the diaphrams? Seems that if it's diluted properly with gas that it would NOT have any effect on the rubber components in the carb, does your experience support that tv4?

Thanks for sharing your experience tv4.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can guarantee you that Seafoam will NOT do any harm to any carb parts. I have used it on all types of carbs, including "pumper type", which have the rubber diaphragm. I think everyone is finding that today's "gas" just isn't like the gas we used to get. The modern stuff doesn't store as well and tends to cause more "gumming" up problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's good to know about Seafoam, will pick up a can or two just to keep around. Is it the ethanol in the gas that causes the problems? Should we treat each tank of gas or just use an occasional dose of Seafoam? I've already added a bit of Stabil to my tank in anticipation of putting it up for the summer. :(

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us tv4! I really like being able to do whatever I can myself without having to haul the thing to the mechanic 40 miles away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bugman: I also use Stabil when I KNOW I'm going to put a m/c, 4-wheeler, ski, boat, etc. in storage for at least 3 mos. It's a good idea to use the Seafoam when you're actually using the engine to pull it through the system. I usually only use it once a season for the respective "toys" :). It helps in any gas engine. And, yeah, the ethanol is a major problem. :thumbsdown: And - "good on ya' for attempting/doing things yourself -experience is a great teacher.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update: Okay so i was able to make it out to the lake today and try the seafoam. It seemed to run the exact same after putting it in. i put it in and rode for about 3 hours after words. I dont know if maybe i did it wrong but what would be my next option? Thanks for your help,
Ryan

(page one has my original problem at the beggining)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts