Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we are new to this website and forum and are in desparate need of some help. We have a Polaris SLT 780 and maybe someone out there reading this may have had similar problems and can put their finger on the fault.
A few weeks ago we ran it for an hour or so and it just stopped. We were towed back to the harbour and by then about 90 mins had lapsed and it started up and ran again. Got home went to flush her out and it wouldn't start again. Took it to a marine shop and he said possibly the rectifier, and ruled out mechanical. He thought he had fixed it by finding an earth problem and to put her back on the water and try it again. We did this the following weekend, ran it for about 75mins, no problem at all. Just as we were deciding to pull her out of the water she stopped again.
We took her to another mechanic and at first he thought she was fuel starved. He has gone right over it and has said its nothing mechanical, its got to be electrical. We phoned an auto electrician who apparently works on jetskis and he didn't want to look at it, he said buy an ingition module and he will put it in. The jetski now will fire up every time but she wont run. Its as if right after she starts, someone pulls the key out. It stops. So short of spending a fortune on an ingnition module, or a recitifer or a few other things... i really can't afford the "what if" scenario. We could end up buying several new parts and it still isn't the problem. If anyone can help us out, we would be so grateful. Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
same problem

Until recently my 2 slt780 1996 were running great. Had just rebuilt one..I have read it is a problem with them not getting correct oil in one ofd the cylinders (other one just blew) but the one we rebuilt just started to have the same problem..run for a while hour or more then just cut out..I just yanked thwe fuel pump from the down one and changed it..will try it this weekend..has anyone answered you on this problem thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 2 slt780...fyi they both blew pistons recently as Im told the fuel pump is not efficient to the furtherest cylinder..mine also were stalling..I changed the fuel pump and it seemed to work..havent had it in water yet this year but seems like it was the problem as the check valve in fuel pump seemed to stick..

·
Registered
227 Posts
Compression good? How about rubber exhaust hoses? Also, I believe these motors had an updated ignition kit which includes magneto, coil pack and ignition module. Wish ya luck. Near Wisconsin?

·
Registered
2 Posts
97 Polaris slt 780

I recently bought a Polaris SLT 78o. The first several times I had it out it ran perfect. The last two times I went to take it out it would kick over run for a second and then stal out. After trying for several mins to start it will finally start and run fine. What could be causing the trouble at the intial start up? Also the third to last time I had it out it ran fine but there was a red light blinking on the screen on the handle bars. What does the red light mean? And finally the last time I took it out after finally getting it started after several mins the screen it self made some wierd symbles and then it stoped working. The only thing it will display is the clock. What would be the cause / causes of all my problems? Please help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts