Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the PWC thing. I have a 2008 VX1100 with 178 hrs. Purchased used. Unit has been running fine since I purchased it. I flush the motor after every use for 10 mins with a garden hose. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is my flushing method good? (I start the engine first then turn on the water. Then I turn off the water and stop the engine)

2. This week I took it out for a run and about 25 min into the run my kids told me it was smoking..I pulled up near shore and shut the motor off. I starting checking around and did not see anything strange. I then remembered that I topped up the oil level the day before. So looked inside the oil tank and notice that the level was very high. Higher than when I filled it, I pulled out some of the oil until it got down to the correct level. Started it up and let it idle for a bit. It smoked but I notice that the white smoke was getting less. So I loaded up the kids and headed back to main land. It smoked for about 5 min and then stopped. I got back to dock let them off and took it back out. No more smoke. It also never gave any overheating warnings or anything. It ran fine for another hour without smoking or any other trouble.

So should I be worried that I may have done something really stupid?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the PWC thing. I have a 2008 VX1100 with 178 hrs. Purchased used. Unit has been running fine since I purchased it. I flush the motor after every use for 10 mins with a garden hose. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is my flushing method good? (I start the engine first then turn on the water. Then I turn off the water and stop the engine)

2. This week I took it out for a run and about 25 min into the run my kids told me it was smoking..I pulled up near shore and shut the motor off. I starting checking around and did not see anything strange. I then remembered that I topped up the oil level the day before. So looked inside the oil tank and notice that the level was very high. Higher than when I filled it, I pulled out some of the oil until it got down to the correct level. Started it up and let it idle for a bit. It smoked but I notice that the white smoke was getting less. So I loaded up the kids and headed back to main land. It smoked for about 5 min and then stopped. I got back to dock let them off and took it back out. No more smoke. It also never gave any overheating warnings or anything. It ran fine for another hour without smoking or any other trouble.

So should I be worried that I may have done something really stupid?
Others will probably give you more first hand advice, all I know is what I was told by the service guy when I bought my 09 VX-D last week. The oil has to be checked while it is hot, states in the manual to run it for 6 mins then check it. The service guy says they are easy to over fill with oil and the oil ends up getting into the air breather, so you may want to check the air filter and see how it looks.

When it is cold, the oil shows low to maybe not even on the dipstick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Others will probably give you more first hand advice, all I know is what I was told by the service guy when I bought my 09 VX-D last week. The oil has to be checked while it is hot, states in the manual to run it for 6 mins then check it. The service guy says they are easy to over fill with oil and the oil ends up getting into the air breather, so you may want to check the air filter and see how it looks.

When it is cold, the oil shows low to maybe not even on the dipstick.
OK..I understand that. So it sounds like I need to check the plugs as well as the filter when I get home.

Hopefully someone can tell us how the excess oil made its way to the intake.

·
Registered
42 Posts
OK..I understand that. So it sounds like I need to check the plugs as well as the filter when I get home.

Hopefully someone can tell us how the excess oil made its way to the intake.
If that's what happend, again, just going by what the service guy said could happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If that's what happend, again, just going by what the service guy said could happen.
I hear you..and thanks for the input. Hopefully one of the senior members will set us on the right path.

I think I am ok...but I just want to be sure and check whatever i need to before the next run.

·
Registered
42 Posts
And as far as the flushing question, the manual for mine says run it for 4 mins making sure water is coming out the main exahust jet. I guess you are ok running it for 10 mins as long as you are not getting any kind of overheat alarm come on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Because it has a dry sump oil must be checked while hot. If you top it up too much it has to burn that oil or pump it out the inlet clogging the air filter and eventually stuffing the plugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because it has a dry sump oil must be checked while hot. If you top it up too much it has to burn that oil or pump it out the inlet clogging the air filter and eventually stuffing the plugs.
OK. So it was not the smartest thing to do by topping it up without letting it warm up. It was not the worst thing that I can do. Therefore lesson clearly learnt..

So pull the intake filter check and clean out any oil that my be in it then pull the plugs and check and clean them. I should be good right?

Or should I replace filter and plugs?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Replace them. The standard filters soak up the oil and block. There are aftermarket filters which are mesh and last alot longer and are cheaper. They are cheaper too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just an R&D filter.
Thanks, can you recommend where to order one? ;-)

Hey, I am all about taking the trail someone else blazed....lol. A quick search I found you can get them directly from R&D, thought maybe there was another vendor where they could be cheaper. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts