Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2006 Kawasaki STX 15F. This is the first personal watercraft I have owned and I have a few questions about the post trip checklist. I want to make sure I take perfect care of this machine.

It says at the end of the trip I need to open it up and make sure there is no water in the engine compartment, if there is, I need to remove the drain plugs. That part seems pretty self-explanatory.

It also says I need to fire it up when it is dry and blow any water out of the exhaust system. Isn't that supposed to be dangerous to fire it up when it is out of water? The manual says not to do it for more than 15 seconds. However, when I got it out of the water on Wednesday, I had to run it for about 12 seconds three times before all the water was out! That makes me nervous!

So I suppose what I'm asking for is, what do I need to do after each trip, in order to keep this thing in immaculate condition? Any other general tips would be great as well for a newbie!

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Post ride after fresh water is pretty easy. Run it for 15-20 seconds after you pull it off the ramp. It helps with mine if I park on an incline with the bow up. I rev the engine a couple of times to help blow out the water. You don't have to get out every drop. After you get it home you could run it again to remove any remaining water if you feel that the first run didn't get it dry. You don't have too much worry about running it dry for short periods of time, but try to give some time for the ski to cool down between runs.

Not a bad idea to pull the seats and be sure there is no water in the hull (sometimes the bilge will not remove it all), and suck it or dry it out. Wiggle the hoses, and look for loose bolts, etc.. and you are pretty much done. You may want to spray around some anti-corrosive spray, but you don't need to do it after every ride in fresh water.

·
Registered
811 Posts
The other stuff you may want to do is run the ski on the trailer with a hose flush kit. It gives me a chance to inspect water hoses and fittings for leaks while it is running and also removes sediment from the system. But never have water running thru the engine with out the engine on. If you do it will hydrolock the engine and flood the crankcase. You can also cut some pvc tubing into rings to set on the seat clip posts to keep the seat up while storing for ventilation. Oh yea last thing cover it up. I have also found that keeping the hull waxed good is helpful in the prevention of scum lines.

Good Luck:juggle2:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What more do you need to do in salt water?
The fresh water flush procedure mentioned above by Outlaw becomes mandatory after every ride in salt water. In addition, you may want to run Salt-Away or similar product through the ski and rinse the engine with it every once in awhile. Many guys also recommend spraying an anti-corrosive spray on all the metal parts of the ski (CRC-656, Fluid Film, Corrosion X, etc..).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts