Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was recently mentioned on another thread that in power valve engines the power valves themselves need to be cleaned periodically to keep them from sticking. I have a suspicion that the p/valves on my 2001 XLT 1200 may not always function. I'm not sure its the p/valves but believe it could be sticky p/valves or an intermittent servo motor. Sometimes the machine will max out at 38 mph, then, it it hits a hard wave, its speed will increase to 50+ mph. The difference is startling. It's my belief that non-functioning power valves could account for the 20% or so difference in performance.

The p/valves are fairly easy to get to, as I have had them apart in 2012 to install retaining clips. What substance, if any, would you recommend to clean the valves? Spray carb cleaner? Gas/oil mix? Fogging oil? A dry rag?

Thanks for the input.

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
You are right, and the power loss is significant. If the system fails close it will restrict the exhaust flow at rpm, bottom end will be good, and top end will be crap. If it fails open, top end will be good, but idle and low end will be crap, but power will hit like a banshee at about 3k or so as it starts to breath.
It's carbon that that builds up on them. The only way I have ever been able to effectively clean anything to do with 2 stroke exhaust is disassembly. Once out, you can soak them in parts dip, but will most likely still require some elbow grease. You will also need to clean the passages, and most likely the exhaust ports some. Be sure and stuff rags in the ports to prevent carbon from getting in the engine. Food for thought, the smoother you get anything in the exhaust, the harder it will be for carbon to stick. It is actually just 2 stroke oil building up and cooking.
If it is the orig. servo, might look at replacing it while you have the system apart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was recently mentioned on another thread that in power valve engines the power valves themselves need to be cleaned periodically to keep them from sticking. I have a suspicion that the p/valves on my 2001 XLT 1200 may not always function. I'm not sure its the p/valves but believe it could be sticky p/valves or an intermittent servo motor. Sometimes the machine will max out at 38 mph, then, it it hits a hard wave, its speed will increase to 50+ mph. The difference is startling. It's my belief that non-functioning power valves could account for the 20% or so difference in performance.

The p/valves are fairly easy to get to, as I have had them apart in 2012 to install retaining clips. What substance, if any, would you recommend to clean the valves? Spray carb cleaner? Gas/oil mix? Fogging oil? A dry rag?

Thanks for the input.

Zardoz

former sea doo owner, will never own one again
Is there a video somewhere on how to remove the power valves to clean them

1 - 3 of 3 Posts