Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought my first sea-doo. I have 2 kawasaki jetskis and use AMSOIL Interceptor full synthetic 2 cycle oil at 50 to 1 premix in my kawi's. Can I use the same AMSOIL in the sea-doo. The bottle says I can.
On another note, I actually wanted to start using Pennzoil marine full synthetic 2 cycle oil for all my skis because I'm running out of AMSOIL and would rather go to Walmart for Pennzoil then order AMSOIL and wait for delivery. The Pennzoil says its good for TC-W3 (kawi) but says nothing about sea-doo. Anybody understand what I'm saying?
Thanks for any feedback.
Dan

·
Registered
811 Posts
Should be fine as long as it's TCW-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks outlaw, I figured the pennzoil would be fine for all skis.
Another question, Ive removed the oil pumps from my kawi's so I can run premix in them. I'd like to remove the oil pump in the 2001 GS sea-doo, the service manual shows an oil pump gear. Do I need to remove this gear. Anybody familiar with this.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like I can just unbolt and pull the oil pump off the sea-doo and cover the hole with a block off plate just like the kawi. Just looks different in the book.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't know which model SeaDoo you have, but check the owners manual (If you don't have it, download it). It will probably tell you that you need to use a 2-stroke oil that is rated API-TC, which your AMSOIL Interceptor is!

The Pennzoil however is NOT. TCW-3 is a lower rated oil then API-TC, also TCW-3 is typically 'ashless' where as APT-TC is typically "low ash".

Some people will tell you they've run TCW-3 in their SeaDoo's for 100 years with out ever a fail, My question is do you want to chance it?

You should check out Mystik JT-4 PWC Oil, it is API-TC rated and is only about $25/gal. If you can find it locally you can probably find it for $20-$22/gal.

You of course are free to run whatever you want in your ski's, but I definitly would atleast run an oil with the rating the manufacture suggests.

In reguards to your oil pump delete, The SeaDoo oil pumps have a VERY good rep for being great oil pumps, most reports you hear about get blaimed on the oil pump when 99% of the time it wasn't the oil pump, but the oil lines from the oil pump that failed. (Which is a maintaince item and should be blamed on the owner, not the pump or manufacture). If you check the lines for cracking, and make sure the oil lines are in good shape you shouldn't have ANY problems with a SeaDoo oil pump. The injection system is a variable system and works much better then pre-mix.

HTH

-TheChad

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I would leave the oil injection injection in place but if you do go premix remember that you have to run an oil bath line to the rotary valve on the 720 engine to keep it lubed. Meaning you need to have a small container of oil feeding it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks guys, I have a 2001 GS, it has the 717 engine.
Yamadoo, since I have the 717 engine, I assume I would'nt need the oil line to oil the rotary valve. Is this correct??
Thechad, I'm just sticking with the Amsoil I've been using for years, I've had no problems and I can use it in Sea-doos and kawi's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey thanks guys, I have a 2001 GS, it has the 717 engine.
Yamadoo, since I have the 717 engine, I assume I would'nt need the oil line to oil the rotary valve. Is this correct??
The "720" yamadoo is referring to is the same as the '717' which has also been called the "718", and yes you will need to keep oil lines to the rotary valve.

Thechad, I'm just sticking with the Amsoil I've been using for years, I've had no problems and I can use it in Sea-doos and kawi's.
That's cool AMSOIL is good stuff, but just incase someday you ever want to change that Mystik JT-4 I was talking about will work directly in place of the amsoil interceptor oil, it's the same type/rating of oil. So if you are using it in your kawi then you'd be able to use the Mystik JT-4 in the kawi as well. Just FYI.

-TheChad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts