Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have done a bit of research in the search section on this one but i'm not quite sure what the real answer is. I just put a new battery in my Yamaha WR500 and it starts perfect every time now :)
I have recently done a bit of work on my Yamaha WR500, i flushed out my tank and replaced hoses etc, i also replaced both plugs. I am using Shell Nautlis tc-w3 outboard oil at a ratio of 40:1 not too sure if this is why it's smoking or not? - i put half a litre of TC-W3 with 20 litres of petrol (Full tank.)

I went down the beach yesterday and she started fine. I went to accelerate and all it does is rev really high and not go anywhere! I also noticed that the more i accelerate, the more it smoked. I seem to be stuck in neutral!

I just flushed out the whole system with red-ex and also poured red-ex down the top of the carb and cleared the fuel filter and air filter.

I'm new to Jet Ski mechanics still learning lots from this forum - thanks guys :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Check the impeller and liner gap (should be 2-7thou). Check the intake grate for blockages and check the impeller for damage. It is cavatating

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the impeller and liner gap (should be 2-7thou). Check the intake grate for blockages and check the impeller for damage. It is cavatating
hi Gc thanks for the advice mate. I have never really had a Jetski before this and im not too good on mechanics.
1. Where can i find the impellar and liner gap?
2. what should be 2-7?
3. i put the word 'cavitating into wiki and couldnt understand it very much sorry

Can you please explain ?

Thankyou for your fast reply :)

Regards,

·
Registered
323 Posts
maybe you should take it to a mechanic if you cant understand that. Ha. thats fine. the impeller is the propellor and there is a housing around it. it should be a tight fit in the housing which is around 2-7thou which is incriments of a milimeter. Cavatating is air rating the water under the ski which means it has no traction. Like spinning wheels or slipping clutch on a car. If the engine is not dying upon acceleration, and its reving up and not going very fast, its cavatation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply mate. I will check the impeller and the intake grate for blockages and damages - i got an picture of one on google images; now i understand :)

I'll get back to you :)

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi GC, i checked the intake for damage and it seems fine i also checked the nozzle at the back of the jet and all seems ok - no blockages or damage.
It's hard to work on the jetski as it's on the trailer which is pretty low!
However, it's still cavitating. Perhaps i should unbolt the intake and look further, would you suggest so?

Regards,

·
Registered
323 Posts
You should take to a mechanic (jetski mechanic). The pump shoe seal would have blown out which means you will need to remove the pump shoe and totally seal it up whilst the pump unit is out, check the liner gap and the impeller for damage. You need to pull it apart to fix it mate. If i were you id just take it to a mech.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts