Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General for all pwc, but relating to a 2004 Kawasaki 750SX stand up:

Seems that everyone agrees that the choke on this ski is inadequate. The past several years I have been physically rolling the ski over in the water (in the correct direction) to get gas in the lines. After rolling 2 or 3 times, the ski starts up (and the battery is not wasted).

My post is to look for a better way! I have seen "primers" talked about on the forum and am seriously considering.

Question: What is the black knob that is under the ski's hood cover? I can pull it up with my hand -- I thought this was to "prime" the ski, right? It doesn't seem to work.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
You didn't say if you are onboard the ski when you are rolling it. Now THAT would be unique.

There, I commented.... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both. I roll the ski to get it started, and then roll the ski when flying freestyle through the air (I wish)!

·
Registered
20 Posts
lol nice but the way I seen a guy do it is on the trailer before you put it in the water pull the choke out then back in then pull it back out and hit the starter... Some kawasaki's like to be cold out of the water just depends on the ski...

·
Registered
144 Posts
The black knob that you refer to is a crankcase drain valve. It's in case you swamp the engine.

Last year I installed a primer kit on my ski and I love it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No Fear Here -- which primer did you install? Where did you purchase it?

Did you mount it outside the hood? I am thinking it would be just as easy for me to mount it inside since I launch from a boat dock on a lake every time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I installed a primer kit from Pro Marine. I bought it from E-Bay, Surf and Turf powersports I believe.

Make sure you order the right one for your carb. If yours is stock then I think it will be the 38mm keihin.

You will have to remove the carb to install it. Pull the choke butterfly, then the choke shaft. Take the 2 brass fittings that come with the primer kit and put them in the freezer. This will make them contract and they will be easier to put into the carb body. They are pressure fit.

I installed my primer pump where the stock choke knob was. Remove the stock choke cable, remove the choke assembly. Insert the primer pump into the hole. Run your lines.

I think it took me about 1 1/2 hrs fully installed.

Have fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts