Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all... I'm new to PWC, and picked up my first one a few weeks ago. My wife wanted me to get a used one to prove I'll use it before spending the $ to get somthing new(er). I picked up a 1994 Sea Doo SP (with Rotax 587 motor) in pretty good condition. The hull is sound and the engine is strong-running.

The problem seems to be that on the water, the engine feels like there's nothing connected to it. If I pull the trigger, the engine winds up quick and smoothe, but the jetski putts out of the water. It will go about 30 with me on it by myself, but takes it a little bit to get going before it starts moving. If I put 2 people on it (under the weight limit) it won't even break the plain. I know it isn't a huge, powerful PWC, but it should be more than this - shouldn't it?

The impeller does not seem to be too-chewed up. Does anyone have any other suggestions of what to check? Is it possible for the impeller-shaft to be slipping inside the engine, or the impeller slipping on the shaft?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would say it is not the drive shaft slipping inside the impeller or you wouldn't be going at all. You mentioned damage to the impeller itself. Crawl under the watercraft and using a good flashlight inspect the impeller from the front side. At the same time inspect the wear ring, which is a ring surrounding the impeller. If there is enough damage to the prop or wear ring this could cause the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I didn't even think about the wear-ring, but I'll definately check it when I get home tonight.

The impeller just has a few nicks on the outer edges of the 'blades'. Will these cause a serious problem?

·
Registered
25 Posts
If the damage is on the front side of the impeller it can make a big difference. The first 5 - 10 mm on the blades are crucial for performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts