Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and jet ski's. I just bought a Yamaha 800 and am now looking for a 3 seater to accompany it.

The best ones in my area that I've found are a

2003 XLT 2 stroke with 70 hrs

2000 XLT 2 stroke with 68 hrs

2002 FX 140 4-stroke with 200 hrs

Any opinions on what the best option would be. The FX-140 is about a thousand dollars more than the two XLT and also 200 hrs more, but with a 4-stroke would that be neglible?

Any thoughts or opinions is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The XLT is going to be faster if that is a consideration (60 mph +). It will also come with more headaches in the long run. Rebuilding carbs, eventually rebuilding engine, worry about the oil injector system failing, this model also has power valves, which are prone to fail, catalytic converter failure, adding oil, etc..

These days, I would not recommend a used 2 stroke ski to a new owner, unless you have pretty good mechanical skills, and really know what to look for in each specific model. I think it is harder to buy a 2 stroke ski, because there are so many different things you have to be aware of that you don't find on the 4 stokes (like the power valve problem I mentioned above).

200 hours on the FX is nothing. On 2 stoke skis you would probably be looking at rebuilding something at that point. 2002 was the first year for the FX. The only problem that I'm aware of with that model, is that the motor mounts were prone to break if you do a lot of rough water riding. The FX will be easier to maintain and give a little better fuel economy. Top speed will be 53-54 mph.

With the 2 strokes, I'd definitely recommend doing a compression check before you buy. Low hours mean nothing.........much more important is how the ski was maintained. For any ski, I highly recommend a test ride before you buy = most important thing you can do before laying down some cash.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ernest T,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me a while to get back. I bought the FX 140 and spent a day on the lake with it.

GREAT time!!!!

thanks for the great advice!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts