Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the thread on here"buying your first jet ski". What I have heard is that all 2 stroke engines will always have to be replaced after so many hours, because they will end up blowing. Is this true? If i use good oil, and do maintenance on it, will it last as long as a car?

I have been looking at 2000-2001 waverunners gp1200 and seadoo GTX.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You can get lots of hours on 2 stroke engines if they are well maintained, the carbs kept clean, correct oil mixture, etc., but compared to more modern 4 strokes the hours will seem relatively low. I've got a friend with over 400 hours on a Yamaha GP1200, but I'd say that many 2 strokes will need some work (maybe a top end rebuild) at around the 200-300 hour mark. With a 4 stroke you will easily double or triple those numbers, and I've seen some 4 stroke rental skis with 5000 + hours on them.

Not all 2 stroke engines blow, but they are more susceptible to overheating type of failures than 4 strokes, because there is just more failure points in the system. Many of them just wear out over time. Fortunately 2 stroke engines are much easier to work on than 4 strokes. With a 2 stroke you can get a pretty good idea of what condition the engine is in by doing a compression check, so I'd recommend doing that in addition to a test ride before buying any 2 stroke ski.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts