Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i'm in the market for a stand up and have a few questions. I have been pointed in the direction of the Kawasaki 550 as people say they are reliable, powerful for what they are, and cheap. They go from 400-900 around me. I have kind of rulled out the 440 because i'm 200 pounds and what to have something with decent power. I know the 650 would be nice, but i'm not wanting to spend that kind of money. 400 is what I fee comfortable spending on a summer toy. My questions would be how fast does a stock 550 run? And also, I see different models on craigslist....JS, SX, etc. What is the difference between these? Any answers are appreciated, so thank you ahead of time!

·
Registered
298 Posts
1990 is the first year model of the SX, and the last year of the bad engine. The SX has rear exhaust, and in 91 they came out with the reed engine. Not to say that you can't find a decent ski for 400, but remember you pay for what you get. Are you a mechanical type person? I had a 90 550 SX and it seemed like I was always doing something to it. I hear the reed motor is awesome though

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much slower is a 440 compared to the 550? Should I not buy a model earlier than a 91? And yes, I am a mechanical type person....simple fixes and rebuilding motors aren't a problem

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't know about the 440 power, I've seen quite a few 550's out at the lake where I go, and 1 kid on a 440, but he was like 90 pounds. I just hate to hear people spend 4-500 bucks on something, and then dump 4-500 bucks into it. My common problems were stator, and timing, but I also put in carb rebuild kits, and top ends. I had a 425 dollar 550, but ended up putting another 400 into it. Had I of just saved a little more, there are some really nice 750's on CL in my area, Sacramento. I however went for the gusto and saved for 2 years, then bought a new SXR 800 a month ago

1 - 4 of 4 Posts